coffee bags and potholders

concretenprimrosesJanuary 18, 2009

I'm doing this in two messages in case the pics are too big for dial up folks all at once. I emptied one of those foil coffee bags and was thinking about how sturdy it is and should be reusable for something. I put water in it to make sure it held water and of course it does. But so what, its too flimsy to give away flowers in for instance. Then I remembered that I had this pretty raku vase a friend made for me years ago that leaks so I can't use it for flowers. I'd tried putting things inside, but its irregularly shaped and things similar in size didn't fit right. The coffee bag works great and conforms to the funny shape onthe inside. I almost want to buy flowers to try it out.

Could put lots of them in a basket to gather flowers... They are light weight. Anything thats not water proof that a coffee bag can be squished into can be a vase.

kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

Years ago when I worked in our local thrift store there was a lady who would come at the end of our $1/bag sales and pick out things that we would "give" her. I put give in quotes cuz she gave most of them back in the form of pot holders and shopping bags which we then sold. She took cotton clothing and old towels home and washed them and made things. The potholders have terry cloth towel in the middle. They are my favorite pot holders still more than 20 years later. (I wore out quite a few but still have these.) You can see that I've patched a couple of them. Hers are the first pic, then the second are some I made, inspired by her, from an old worn out towel and some fabric samples. I wish I remembered her name - she was doing this before recycling was so fashionable!

and here are mine

kathy

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 9:07PM
sunnyca_gw

Great ideas & I'll bet the potholders feel a lot more secure in your hands. Ones from store are often stiff & i have no luck with the mitts,I have small hands & I can't get a grip on anything with them. Some potholders are very thin also. I used to really like the "free" ones the people running for local gov't offices used to give away. They had nice thickness & sometimes 1 side was silvered or goldish like the ironing board pads used to be. Oh, another bag that will work even to put a gift in is potato chip bag. It can be washed & turned inside out & nice silver color on it slip gift in & fold down & tie with ribbon. Jan

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 1:13AM
concretenprimroses

Good idea about the potato chip bag. So much packaging is very sturdy, its a shame not to reuse it. I've got some plans for handbags using some of this kind of stuff plus duct tape and old plastic table cloths. An inside out little potato chip bag sewn down the middle might just make a good cell phone and pen pouch. I'm just too scattered tho, cuz right now I'm covering a light bulb with half marbles, lol. Gotta do the bags next!
kathy

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Sponsored Products
Lexington Home Brands Mirage Russell Rectangle Glass Top Coffee Table Multicolor
Hayneedle
Walker Edison 44-in. Multi-purpose Wood TV Console - Traditional Brown - HNQ44CM
$170.00 | Hayneedle
Charles Petite 4 Piece Sofa Set in Black Silver
$2,315.00 | LexMod
International Caravan Wicker Glass Top Side Table
Overstock.com
Club Rectangular Outdoor Coffee Table, Patio Furniture
$755.00 | FRONTGATE
Fusion 12 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Turquoise
$2,499.00 | LexMod
Simple Living Rubberwood Farmhouse Table
Overstock.com
Coffee & Beige Xavier Rug