TV cabinet from an old dresser or sideboard?

organic_tigerlilyJanuary 3, 2007

I want to make a TV cabinet/home entertainment center from a vintage dresser or sideboard. Any suggestions??? I think that I can remove a couple of drawers and make room for the electronic components.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvstocraft

Gosh, no one had a suggestion for you.

I've never done anything like this, but I think HGTV might have something like that. I seem to remember seeing a small chest that they removed the top drawer and made the bottom two drawers into doors for an entertainment center. You might try doing a search there.

Hope someone else sees your post and can offer help.

Luvs

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 10:59AM
arcy_gw

I too want such a piece. DH will make one new. Some have doors, some drawers, some both. If the door has middle panel it could be replaced by material so a speaker could hide behind. If course I have circa 1960 speakers.... DH is planning ours to have some drawers. He thinks it will make access easier for DVD's and such. I found a "butler" "side board""credenza" at a store. The top china cabinet came broken, twice. I hoped to get the bottom for a nice price. No go. I plan to hang my flat screen TV above it on the wall like a picture. I saw it done on a decorating show. Three years late I now have the TV. Now I NEED the entertainment center.

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 1:07PM
craftylady-2006

Oh what a great idea Tigerlilly, I bet it's going to look fantastic. Can you post a pic of the dresser or sideboard so we can see? Without seeing it, you could use wooden shutters attached to the dresser sides for the front. check out Home Depot for shutter doors you can cut or shutter for windows or an antique store for real wooden ones. Are you planning on keeping it "vintage" or more modern, straight paint or stain or distressing it? Go to a furniture store and check out entertainment centers for ideas of your project. Take along a piece of paper and pen and sketch it if need be. You've got me all excited about this piece. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sal

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™