Uses for white metal zipper tape...yards and yards...

blueberrier1January 7, 2009

Have a 10" tall 9" diameter spool of white metal zipper tape that was given to me about 15 years ago. It is like new, but I prefer the nylon tapes for upholstery and craft projects. I have used a few yards to tie fabric gifts. I have also snipped off a few feet of the white tape to use as tarp reinforcement.

The zipper teeth are silver-colored. I probably have the zipper pulls in an unpacked box!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindasewandsew

It can be used like piping on aprons, purses, jackets and skirts, although it could scratch finishes on wood or metal if you sit on them while wearing it. There are earrings made of the tape gathered into a 'flower', then a zipper pull is placed in the center. although a button or something else could be used. The flower could be made into trim for lots of things, but won't use much of it up. A larger flower could be made by sewing it on the edge of a strip of fabric, then gather the flower out of the whole thing. Christmas ornaments? Edging pillowcases? Nutty doll hair? Some of it could be added to each square of a (denim?) quilt. Here's a denim pocket quilt I made years ago from different color jeans, and using zipper tape for piping around all the shapes might look pretty good on it. Linda

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 5:09AM
blueberrier1

Linda, like your clever and colorful quilt/hanging. My 'mature' eyes cannot see the zipper teeth or tape. Is the zipper edging for each pocket shape?

Do you know of any trading or giveaway forum for this zipper tape? Am not interesed in wearing anything scratchy.

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 11:17AM
TwoMonths

Glad you posted this. I have a suitcase full of old zippers from my MIL. So I searched and found

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf60588900.tip.html

http://www.ilovetocraft.com/sewing/christmas-stocking.shtml

You can use them on pockets on a scrapbook page. You can use them with jean pockets for a small purse (or on any purse)

Last but not least. You can make music. http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/06/zipper_orchestra.html?CMP=OTC-0D6B48984890

make music with zippers....yep...almost as good as making music with velcro fasteners on shoes.

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 3:44PM
lindasewandsew

Oops, sorry, I left some words out. The last sentence should say, "and COULD SEE using zipper tape, etc....." DUH!!! lol. There is none on the quilt.

If you want to trade it, start a new thread here, garden junk, crafts, sewing or all of them for trade with a photo of it. You might want to give suggestions of what you're looking for or see what comes up. You can ask them to email you for the trade. Linda

Bookmark   January 10, 2009 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™