Greetings to you all! Question for you..

sydneydavisJanuary 30, 2006

I was told I could find help here. I have a china cup I am wanting to cut in half. I want to glue the half cup to a saucer so I can hang it. Also if I drill a hole in it to hang what size drill bit should I use? Can I use my reg drill or should I get on made for china? Didn't know if my Sears brand was too high powered.

Thanks a bunch...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue102

Wow! I would think that almost any kind of drill would make a lot of china pieces instead of cutting it in half. Could you call a glass shop and see what they would suggest?
Sue102

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 7:07PM
des_arc_ya_ya

I'm thinking that I've heard people mention using a drill bit that is made especially for ceramic/glass pieces. How about calling Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and see what they can tell you. I'm NOT knowledgeable at all in tools or how to use them. Wish I was.....

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 12:51PM
neetsiepie

If you have a WalMart nearby (and who doesn't!) they sell Black and Decker Glass and Tile bits in a 4 pack for around $10. These are the best bits to use. HD sells them for around $17, and I get them to price match plus 10%, so I get them for $9! woohoo.

Anyway, use the next to the smallest bit (can't recall the size). If your cup is really china, it will take ages to drill a hole. Use drops of water to cool the bit and go S-L-O-O-O-W. If it's just ceramic it should drill fast. I'd suggest using one of the bigger bits on another piece until you get the hang of drilling, to save your bit for the one you're going to do.

I'm not sure about cutting the cup. Maybe if you have a glass shop they could do it? I've seen it done with glass on a band saw type of set up, but never china, and never a tea cup. I HAVE seen tea cups that were cut in half and made into night lights, just don't have a clue as to how they did it!

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Sideboard w/ Bar Top - 57007-507-51
Great Furniture Deal
Caesar Mantel
$1,285.00 | Horchow
Nelson | Pear Lamp
$329.00 | YLighting
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II Gentleman's Chest in Cafe Noir -...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Essex Manor Curio - N76505-57
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia Entertainment Center in Chestnut -...
Great Furniture Deal
WAC Caribe Antique Bronze 50 Watt Juno Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Rockin' Robin Trees Art Print
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™