Recycling old mosaic tile bench top

deedlesmomJanuary 5, 2005

We recently moved and my DH cleaned out my shed for me and a mosaic bench top flipped over and some of the tiles fell out. I used good adhesive for the tiles too. But I forgot to seal the grout before I put it outside. Do you think I could put the missing tiles back on the bench top again after I chipped away all the old grout, regrouted and sealed it this time??? Or should choose another piece of wood and start from scratch?? Thanks for any ideas.

Sheree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

I don't see why not. If you don't try you won't know. And you'd trash it if it didn't try it so go for it. Just make sure you grout it and seal it this time.

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 4:36PM
Pattiwatti

Hi Sheree, My thought was did you prep the bench before applying the tiles? You should scuff up the wood with sandpaper to allow good adhesion for the glue versus glueing on the tiles to a shiny or slick surface. Did the bench have any wax or such on the wood? Next time, scuff up the wood really good and apply then a coat of primer,like Kilz or BIN,they are white shellac pigmented primers. This will then seal the wood against moisture. Then apply glue and tiles. You should not have the problem again. Good Luck.

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 10:08AM
Pattiwatti

A couple other things I forgot to mention.
I see by your post the bench is outside. Wood expands and contracts when wet,humidity, etc. so most likely why also your tiles popped off too. I would glue back on the pieces, grout and all, then re-grout and bring the bench inside as a peice of furniture. Start from scratch on another one to go outside. When putting a wood substrate outside, you need to keep it out of the elements really if even sealed properly if you want to keep it for decades. Not any where where wet can hit it. Grout sealer does repel water,oils and stains, but not considered waterproof and will definately not protect the wood underneath if not primed first. Pieces I have outside, I seal every 6 months regardless. I mosaiced a wood chair for my kitchen. go to'
http://photos.yahoo.com/pattiwatti43
I think its under "mosaics"
Another fantastic group is mosaicartists.org under yahoo groups. a wealth of info and you can really self teach yourself with their info as I did.
have fun.good luck
Patti

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Sponsored Products
Cream Peacock Bench - CREAM
$1,499.00 | Horchow
Oxford Stripe Rug 5'3" x 7'5" - BLUE/GREEN
$469.00 | Horchow
Wood Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Bamboo Cafe 3/8 in. Thick x 1-3/4 in. Wide
$29.98 | Home Depot
Varaluz Dreamweaver 22" Wide ADA Compliant Sconce
Lamps Plus
Cape Lookout Wall Art
$24.99 | zulily