Anyone make a plush area rug?

pink_overallsJanuary 16, 2007

I would like to create my own area rug, about 6 feet square. I want a plush pile, maybe wool, not braided or rag or hooked. Years ago I saw Kitty Bartholomew do one on HGTV. She cut out designs with a blade-knife, from the back, and then taped in same size pieces of other colors. I want a retro or mod look -- circles, boomerangs, squiggles. Would I look for remnants and piece it all together, or start with an area rug with already bound edges? I want something original in my own color choices and dimensions without spending hundreds of dollars. Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TwoMonths

We used to use remants and sew or tape together. Go to a carpet store and look for the remenants. If you want to add smaller pieces in as designs, see if they have any carpet samples they will give you or sell you. Most will also bind the outside of the remant for you and then you do your own color additions...seal back with duct tape. change your mind, change your colors. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 2:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

That was going to be my suggestions also. I know Home Depot has the carpet squares you can take (just don't fill up the whole box all at once, HA). Way back when, my Mom made her whole kitchen rug out of remnants. It was pretty neat, she also did a unique pattern.

Sal

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™