Any idea what this was for?

Angerman HardwoodsJanuary 3, 2009

I bought it from a thrift store just before Christmas for $2.00!

Look here:

http://cynnamamascafe.blogspot.com/2009/01/basket-but-what-was-purpose.html

I didn't know how to post the picture here...

Your help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

and Happy New Year!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
summergardener

I love it!!!

It reminds me of an egg basket. How big is it? I've never seen one like this before, but it could be one if it would be big enough. It could also be for berries, fruit,etc.

If it is big enough, you could put artificial fruit or eggs in it. Eggs would be nice for spring.

It was definitely worth 2$

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 3:44PM
concretenprimroses

Since it has a cover and no handle it appears to be for storage rather than for gathering. Still could be for eggs. I'll ask my mom and see if she knows. Unoftunately just lost the older (in their 90s) generation in the past few years. Mom is 80 tho so she may know.
Great find though especially for $2!
kathy

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 4:07PM
PRO
Angerman Hardwoods

Thanks, summergardener !! I measured it and it is 10" at the bottom and height is 7". The lid does not come off (it's wired together).
Easter eggs... what a great idea!
Fruit is another idea I like, too! I'll go with just apples since my sunroom has the color red.
Hm! I'll repost again after being filled with faux apples!
Many Thanks!! :)

concretenprimroses, it does have a handle at the top but not on the side(s). Do find out from your mom! I've lost my older generations so I'm totally lost here, too!
Thanks!! :)

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 4:19PM
huggybear_2008

Seems I did see one of these before and it was an egg basket. I would say it is fairly old , but well taken care of..
Huggy

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 9:25AM
shysue

I would go with egg basket, too. Whatever it is, I love it! There are so many possibilities for it's use and only $2! You did go-o-o-d!!!

Bookmark   January 5, 2009 at 9:32AM
dilly_dally

I see a wire loop on the right side and the cover appears to be attached on the left side with a wire through the loop. Is that correct?

I was thinking that it may be a basket for deep frying, but no.

I think it may be a basket for gathering greens and then washing them. You swish the lettuce leaves or collard greens or what ever in water, to rinse sand and bugs off. Then you spin dry the greens with the basket.

It sounds crazy, but the way greens would be dried after washing is to slip a length of rope through the loop on the cover. And then, with the cover attached of course and then twirl it sort of like a lassso.

This is how greens were washed before electric salad spinners were invented.

Bookmark   January 6, 2009 at 7:28AM
summergardener

A salad spinner sounds possible too. I wouldn't have wanted to be hit by one spinning out of control back then. Ouch!

Bookmark   January 6, 2009 at 10:56PM
PRO
Angerman Hardwoods

huggybear_2008, I checked the ebay and didn't see one like it, either which was why I asked. It really doesn't look that old which I assumed someone took good care of it.

Thanks, shysue! I love collecting baskets especially wire. I wasn't sure if I was paying too much for it but guess I did! :) Thanks!

dilly_dally, yes, there is a loop with no latch to hold it together. The lid fits nicely but don't think it'll hold if I put anything in it. As a salad spinner, it's possible!

LOL @summergardener, yea, that would hurt! how funny!

As I mentioned earlier about putting in the apples, my husband gave me the look and said we're not fruit people which we don't eat fruits. ha! hm! Now I might go with eggs but I kinda like maybe use it as a candleholder? Leaving the lid up that way the black smoke wouldn't mark on the bottom of the lid. I've included the picture below. I'm still working on it... sigh! ha

Again, many thanks to you all!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 7, 2009 at 11:39PM
TwoMonths

I was gona say it is a basket to hold bait in the wate when fishing...but probably not...now I will say it is a wire basket for you to use any way you want, lol.

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 4:00PM
Vique_Pa

It's an egg basket, not just for gathering eggs, but for storing them in the fridge. Vique.

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 11:12AM
summergardener

I like the candle idea. Looks like they are using a candle in a jar/glass holder. Good idea. If you go with this idea, take a picture and post it. So many possibilities for one cute basket. I love finds like this!!!

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 10:07PM
PRO
Angerman Hardwoods

I'm back to update my egg basket! Take a look!
Thanks everyone, I love it!!
The picture might be huge... better view?! ~wink~
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JUvORYfBVmM/SWzqZ3PJWjI/AAAAAAAACt0/hkl-j4QzZOo/s1600-h/100_0379.JPG

or

Here is a link that might be useful: Cynnamama's Cafe

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 2:33PM
daynia

Hi,
It seems to me that I also have seen it as an egg basket. But the salad dryer sounds good also. I was wondering if there was a place to slide one of those deep fry handles into because I was thinking about a popcorn popper.

Also my friend and I used to pick things like this up at yard sales. At night the guys and her and I would sit at the table and try to guess what some of the weird things we paid for were. We did it for the entertainment. Mine ended up in a box and few were used. But she was lucky enough to have found this nice old fashioned crock. About2' high. So all of these crazy utensils went into that. From there she went 40's. What a great designer she is.
daynia

Bookmark   January 22, 2009 at 5:06PM
concretenprimroses

Very pretty result!
kathy

Bookmark   January 22, 2009 at 6:59PM
summergardener

Beautiful!!! ...and free rocks to boot!!!

Looks like you would have paid much more for it.

Bookmark   January 22, 2009 at 7:15PM
sunnyca_gw

Looks great for sun room & little bit of outdoors brought in to enjoy!!Jan

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™