Interior paint color for screened porch columns

MaureenB8July 27, 2014

We are building a screened porch on the back of our house, 12 x 20. The house is a very early colonial and painted black.
We have selected grey decking, and the paint color for the columns that will hold up the roof is my problem. We plan to paint the exterior of the porch columns black to match the house, but are stuck on the color of paint for the interior of the columns. Should we go with a pretty shade of grey, lighter than the floor? I have inherited a lovely set of top quality white wicker and I am trying to imagine how it will all work together. Here is another point --The porch will be quite visible from our new kitchen, which is cherry and all the trim around windows and doors is also cherry. Should I carry the cherry stain out to the porch, and change the grey decking to a natural wood tone? H E L P!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yayagal

I'd go with a taupe like BM smokey taupe as there's not greater blend than taupe and black.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:01PM
dilly_ny

What color will your window and door trim be?

I think the porch columns should be one color, inside and out. I would go with a color that contrasts with the black house such as white or grey.

Grey decking sounds nice. Or you might want to look at Ipe. It has a wonderful rich wood tone when new. It will keep this reddish tone if you oil it. If you don't oil it, it will turn grey.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:39PM
yayagal

smokey taupe is a grayish tan color.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:35AM
MaureenB8

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the columns need to be painted the same inside and out, don't know what I was thinking. Most porches I've seen online seem to be painted white and those that are natural wood almost appear to have a camp/cottage look and my house is not that style at all. I will take a look at BM's smokey taupe, sounds interesting. The house is very much like the old Salem homes, no trim color--everything is black and cannot introduce white on the exterior.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:54PM
zuponcic

Love to see a picture!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:00PM
MaureenB8

Does anyone have a painted black screen porch? I am stressing over a back porch that we will start in 4 weeks. The exterior of the house (old N.E. Colonial) is painted black including the trim much like the Salem, MA houses. The porch will be 12 x 20. The ceiling will be in the shed style with a very light wood stain, decking probably light grey. Any thoughts if this sounds okay? Anyone have a screen porch painted black?

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:12AM
Jamie

Our porch is all screen except for the columns and the narrow frames of the screens. Our colonial is circa 1938 and whitish columns and arch accents were the way to go.
But I painted the wooden screen- and door- surrounds a very dark green, not black, but a black substitute. It lives well. The screens and the frames, being all dark, tend to disappear when you are on the porch.

My porch is entirely shaded, and I wanted some light out there, so I painted the back wall of the house a lighter color. You don't see the wall from inside, so there's color liberty for that wall.

(my house does have kind of the camp/cottage/farmhouse look)

If you like I can take a picture later.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:30AM
MaureenB8

Does anyone have a painted black screen porch? I am stressing over a back porch that we will start in 4 weeks. The exterior of the house (old N.E. Colonial) is painted black including the trim much like the Salem, MA houses. The porch will be 12 x 20. The ceiling will be in the shed style with a very light wood stain, decking probably light grey. Any thoughts if this sounds okay? Anyone have a screen porch painted black?

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 1:06PM
patty_cakes

Definitely love the black, but is screening a given on an option?

I've been saving this picture forever! Look ma, no screens! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: no screen porch

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 4:15PM
MaureenB8

Love the plantation shutters, but screens are not an option, they're a necessity. We have a deck now and I've been lobbying for years to convert deck to a screened porch. Have finally convinced DH to do it.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Animal print carpeting revisited
I googled stark and it looks like it sells to the trade....
bossyvossy
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
Another example of a small house - living kinda big
This just happened to come across my view this morning...
steph2000
Talking of airbnb, white walls, and Paris....
I'd move into this apartment in a heartbeat. And, no,...
nosoccermom
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™