making another substrate

nicethymeMarch 15, 2010

I had a desire to make a 3d fish on a plate but I really don't have the time or inspiration to mosaic it, so I proposed a collaboration with artist Juli Hulcy. When I am done sculpting it, I will ship it to her to mosaic, from there I told her she's free to show, sell or donate it and just include my name for partial credit. She has agreed and pledged to give me 50% if it sells. I'm excited to see the outcome

So I picked a grouper as my model, glued up and carved polystyrene for the body and used the double wire mesh for the tail and fins

here it measures 24" long

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicethyme

I have since coated this in a thinset slurry to give it some tooth and then after it dried I went over it with a portland and sand mix.

I'm pleased the fins and tail have remained thinwalled and I will do the backs of the ones that I can reach under next.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 6:47PM
nicethyme

dang it, I forgot to show you guys' Juli's work. this is her site and she's done some really cool fish

Here is a link that might be useful: Juli Hulcy

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 9:48PM
texaswild

Oh, NT. The likeness is phenomenal. It looks so much like your model. Your sculpting is really going otta bounds. You're like Riana - she loves making the sculptures but doesn't enjoy the tiling. Juli's work is fabulous. Looks like she's a Texas girl. Is she in Dallas? Looks like this w/surely be a winner. You're going places - UP.

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 8:42AM
texaswild

NT: Re your Portland/sand mix - do you use silica sand? I can't get it here - all I can get is play sand. Your finish always looks so smooth. Silica sand is what Riana recommends for the final coat. Wish I could get it.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 4:32PM
nicethyme

No and I've tried to get it too... I need to make friends with an autobody shop to get some super fine silica. So I use playsand as well but I screen it as best I can to try and seperate out the courser aggregates

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™