ISO ideas to paint on wooden sled....

kfarrarDecember 9, 2001

I purchased a wooden sled yesterday from Big Lots for almost nothing & would like to paint something on it for a co-worker. I'm having trouble deciding what might look good as there are three slats where a person might "ride on the sled" and they are 2" wide & 10" long. They are spaced an inch or so apart & that's where I'm having trouble. Many of the patterns I've seen have say a snowman, but I think the spacing between these slats will make it difficult to have a single pattern placed on it, the pattern would look distorted. I may need to paint some designs up & down these slats & treat them individually rather than using the 'face' of the sled for a single design. Difficult to describe, but does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm a beginning to intermediate painter. TIA!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kraftymom

I know exactly the kind of sled you are talking about. If you wanted to you could still paint a single snowman, poinsettia, or a Christmas tree broken up across the front. Full bodied designs like those do look OK across a slat surface. It's just a matter of the look you want.
If you don't want to do that, you can paint each slat with a different motif or all of them with the same - say little trees down one, little snowmen down another, etc.

If I were painting motifs on the slats I would probably put little snowmen with snowflakes in between each one on a blue background, trees with Christmas balls between each one on a red background, or poinsettias with berries and/or holly leaves between each on a white background and in this case probably paint some edging lines in metallic gold around the sled, on the runners and maybe even on the poinsettias themselves. You could also paint all of the slats with a running holly & berry design which would look very nice.

These are just a few ideas maybe someone else here will come up with some more.

Bookmark   December 10, 2001 at 10:58AM
Kelli

How about painting a background, navy with stars and then a snowman on each slat.

Bookmark   December 11, 2001 at 7:19PM
kfarrar

Great suggestions.......Thanks so much.....I'm inspired!

Bookmark   December 12, 2001 at 1:46AM
kraftymom

Just another suggestion.....you could also take a picture from a magazine, book, large Christmas card, etc. break it up and decoupage it across the front. Makes for an interesting piece.

Bookmark   December 12, 2001 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
1970's-1980's decorative painting books?
Can someone help me please? I painted from some books...
springroz
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
New projects in the Gallery!
If you haven't checked out the Gallery in a while,...
anjabee
Valentine painted items
Have a couple of items I've painted for Valentines...
luvstocraft
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™