Very Tiny Kitchen Decor Tips - Pics Posted

sofia1378October 24, 2008

We recently moved into a 1 BHK Apartment..it has a very tiny kitchen :( was looking for help in some decor tips for the kitchen...Pics are posted...any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

Hello, sofia. You have linked to the photos on your C drive so we can't see them. You need to post them on the web somewhere (like photobucket, which is free) and link to those.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:54AM
sofia1378

Oops! :) Are the pics visible through this link ?
http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=sofia1378&P=&AID=5587085&Show=Y

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 2:13PM
writersblock

Yes, that works. Here's a direct link.

Do you have any place to keep one of the little folding islands when you don't need it? You seem to have okay storage above and all the appliances--it's workspace you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: tiny kitchen photos

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 2:22PM
writersblock

I mean something like this (although you can get them cheaper elsewhere, maybe even ikea):

Here is a link that might be useful: folding island

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 2:24PM
sofia1378

Thanks, writersblock..The folding island looks neat...will try to find similar ones on the ikea website..your right, the problem i face is due to the nearly non-existent counter top...only 1 person can work at a time in the kitchen :) also i was looking for some accents to add in the kitchen, though i think it is too small to even add any decor stuff :)

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 2:39PM
writersblock

Well, you really don't have any extra space for stuff that stands on the counters, but you might want to look at some of the wall mounted storage racks from Ikea. I've even seen people grow cooking herbs in the white ceramic holders.

That would kill two birds with one stone: get you more accessible storage that's off the counters and look a bit more finished, too.

A nice backsplash would also make a difference, but you didn't say whether you rent or own. Probably not an option if you rent, but with such a small area, even glass mosaic wouldn't be too pricey and would give a lot more presence.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 2:59PM
writersblock

Something like these tiles or the tiles from oceanside glass tile would be super in there.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 3:01PM
sofia1378

Thanks for your suggestions! I rent this apartment though so i really dont have much flexibility in redefining the rooms :(

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 3:23PM
writersblock

Then check out the ikea wall mount rack systems: you only need to drill two holes and those would be easy to patch when you move.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 4:05PM
teresa_nc7

If at all possible, I would clear your counter top of everything so you have complete room to work and not worry about breaking anything. If it were my kitchen, I would remove all the little stuff on top of the fridge also. Or get a large pretty basket and use it to hold items you use a lot.

Can you hang some racks from under the counter for hanging utensils, small pots, kitchen towels and the like. There are under-the-counter coffeemakers also if you need a coffeemaker.

Depending on how much space you have between the kitchen area and the sofa, I would think about a rolling kitchen cart for storage and food prep. You could also use the cart counter surface for putting out drinks and snacks. Something on the order of the one in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen carts - all types, all prices

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 9:56AM
trixieinthegarden

An island would certainly be a perfect option for you, with the kitchen open to the living room you could put something across that wall opposite the fridge and range and really increase your workspace as well as have it serve as a place to eat or lay out buffet items. IKEA has the Stenstorp island which has open shelves and a covered back so that would be a great option for you.

Another option that would give you TONS of new storage and a workspace is the Varde cabinet, either with drawers or open or closed shelves

You might want to get a cutting board or some other option that would fit over the sink, to increase your counterspace.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 11:31AM
marti8a

sofia, our first apartment had a kitchen about the size of yours, minus the cabinet space. We got an island similar to the first one Trixie posted & it was great. The narrower the better for a tiny kitchen.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 9:48PM
sofia1378

Thank you all so much for your inputs! teresa_nc7, I did remove all the items from the countertop and on top of the fridge as per your suggestion and the kitchen looks better now :)havent had a chance to do more research on the folding island though, but i am inclined to get that one soon..Thanks again! I need some suggestions for curtain colors for my living room...will post a new thread for that...stay tuned

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Mise en place
I give you a link to an NPR article about the above...
Moccasin
Let's have tea!!! :)
I do not know if there's a Conversations side or not....but...
lavender_lass
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Moved in my smaller home today!!!!
Hello!! I just introduced myself this week; I'm the...
pinkpanther5
Getting older and keeping up
Just reading Stephs recent post about getting help...
kitykat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™