Glue Questions

chinatreasuresMarch 15, 2012

Hi everyone! I've been away a while, but have spent some time catching up on current projects. I'm always amazed at the talent here!!

I know the glue questions have been discussed in length several times here, but I was wondering if there have been any new products in the past year.

I'm about to start a GOG and am still confused about glue. I know the most popular are Mac, GEII and Weldbond and I can't decide which to use. I guess I just want someone to say - hey, just use ___!

Please help!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinatreasures

By the way - here's a pic of my cast of characters:

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 4:51PM
wackyweeder

Everyone has their own preference for sure. You didnt mention Lexel above-it is an ultraclear silicone type adhesive, but it can be sticky and messy. depends on how neat you are I guess! Regular silicone cures to a certain cloudiness that bothers some people. It doesnt phase me.
There is also DAP. If you buy DAP clear, it goes on white and cures to a silicone cloudiness. The advantage of this with GOG is you can see any gaps or bubbles and prevent grout bleed.
I personally very much dislike weldbond-the slow curing, the milkiness, the thinness of the adhesive and I work very well with silicone. It depends on if you are messy with it and what you like to work with. If you currently work with a thin adhesive like weldbond, you may find silicones messy, but the risk of grout bleed is greater, IMO.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 8:32PM
silvamae

Okay, I will do it. "Hey! Just use MAC glue!" If you click on the link below, and then scroll down, it should take you to a picture of some candles that are GOG and where I used MAC glue. I like it, it's strong and dries quickly and clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog (candles)

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:10AM
ItsmeChickadee

Hi,
I just finished (except for grout) a GOG project using Weldbond. I feel like I am going to spend my life waiting for the damn stuff to dry! I used a lot to make sure I have no grout bleed and am finding I have to have the patience of a saint. Next time I'm trying the Silicone or DAP. How cloudy is the DAP?
Becky

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 2:28PM
chinatreasures

Thank you Silvamae for making the decision for me! Besides, I discovered I already have some Mac glue I ordered last year that I forgot about.

Do you just squeeze it onto the glass pieces from the bottle or brush it on?

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 4:38PM
silvamae

I just squeeze it from the bottle directly onto the back of the glass pieces.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 6:30PM
wackyweeder

Becky it cures just like regular silicone-no cloudier than that.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 7:36PM
fldirt

Is that Starry Starry Night that you are going to do? Can't wait to see how you do it. I was thinking about doing one...so will be paying close attention.
Good luck!

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 9:12PM
chinatreasures

Yes it's Starry Starry Night. I'll post my progress in a new thread.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 10:36AM
Calamity_J

Ohhh nice window...nice glass!!! Thanks for the Eye Candy!!!heh heh! I have been using GE Marine silicone adhesive, super awesome as it dries fast and clear...but is exspensive and the price is now $5/2.8oz! so am gonna try some new stuff that the guys installing our new house windows, used. It's called Big Stretch, by Sashco. It is a 10.5oz tube, so will need to use a caulking gun, it's about the same price so I hope it will be worth the hassle. i will post some WIP with it.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Cutting Beach Pebbles
I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles...
african
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Palatial Oval Double Pedestal Table -...
Great Furniture Deal
Kentucky Wildcats 20-Oz. Glass Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily
DW 5050 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Drop Ceiling Tiles: Ceilume Building Materials Oxford Black 2 ft. x 2 ft.
$3.89 | Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Bella Cera Media Cabinet - 38081-45
Great Furniture Deal
Korver Loveseat - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™