Mosaic Foyer Q

laura21230March 15, 2009

Hi all,

My first time posting here! I have done some smaller projects, and am about to start my first floor project, so I want to make sure I have a good plan. Can someone who has done a floor before let me know if this is going to go horribly wrong? :)

This is for a small foyer, just inside the front door, it's about 40" x 44".

I'm going to use ceramic tiles on cementboard, which is already installed. I was thinking I'd glue the tiles to mesh using Weldbond, then use thinset to attach the mesh-backed tiles to the cement? Does this sound right?

Thanks, everyone! You all have some great pictures on these forums, it is inspiring!!

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flagtruck

Laura- I would use the thinset to set the tiles on the mesh and also to adhere to the cement board. I am sure that this would give you a better bond than Weldbond. Also see if you cannot cut your mesh in some joint lines prior to installation so that you are handling smaller pieces as 49 x 44 will be very heavy with all the tiles on it and may stretch during the moving to the board. If you make smaller segments you can set them easier. Good luck and post pics. Carol

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 4:32PM
laura21230

Thanks for the tips Carol, I didn't know I could set the tiles on the mesh with thinset - I will try that! I will post pics later; I need to get supplies first :)

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 7:03AM
texaswild

Oh, this one w/be fun to watch. You got good advice from a pro, LAURA. FLAG knows her stuff.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 8:32AM
texasfern

Oh boy and new project!

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 12:01PM
flamingal

I find this interesting, as with using thinset to adhere the tile to the mesh, you lose the flexibility of the mesh. I personally use Weldbond to adhere the tile, dishes or glass to the mesh, then you can use thinset to attach your cut pieces of mesh in smaller segments and nothing will come-up.
I've done floors, outside steps, walls...the beauty of using mesh is that it keeps the pieces light-weight & flexible.
Rosemary

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 7:17PM
smickerdoodle

Carol-Thank you for the suggestion of adhering the tiles to the mesh with thinset. I will try this the next large project that I do. I tried teh wellbond on my floor the last time and had a problem with the glass coming loose and having to put a lot of pieces in indvidually...WHAT A PAIN!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™