Substrate for bathroom mirror surround

wishdishMarch 9, 2012

Hi all. I want to mosaic around my big wall mirror in my bathroom. It's one of those lovely HUGE mirrors that is glued to the wall. I want to make a frame where it is on top of the mirror, not butted up against it. I'll route out for the mirror clips and put some molding on the edge to span the gap between the frame and the wall (thereby covering the edge of the substrate as well as the actual mirror). At first I thought MDF would be good (love mosaicing on that stuff), but have been reading that in a moisture environment, it's not a good idea. So, I'm wondering - can I use plywood? I'd like to make them on a flat surface, then put them up and grout in place (or I might pregrout, then put up and grout those areas than join together). So, what do y'all think about plywood? They would be about 6" wide

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J

Klinger has done that. I will see if she can suggest the substrate she used.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 11:43PM
Calamity_J

So I checked the forum and found the thread that Klinger posted about her mirror project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Klingers Mirror Project

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 9:34AM
wishdish

thanks calamity. i had seen this mirror. it's so gorgeous, but klinger just says she used "thin backerboard". not sure what she used. also am wondering how it has held up since then.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 6:54PM
klinger

Hi , I used that technique for two kitchen back splashes and two bathroom ones, it's held up just fine. It hasn't been submerged in water but of course there's been the odd splash. I did seal it though with a grout sealant.I don't know the proper term for what I used, but it was just a thin piece of wood. If you were worried about water then use a piece of wedi or cement board like they'd use in a shower/ tub application.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 11:10AM
wishdish

Hi Klinger! Love your mirror! I'm happy to hear that you used boards, as I want to too. I'm thinking plywood, not too thick. Thanks for the help, ladies!!

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™