making stain, need help!!

KathyNovember 16, 2001

Hello everyone,

I am in the middle of painting some baskets. You may have seen them. I bought them at AC MOORE. They have a wooden lid with a leather strap, and the basket has a handle. My question is....I am painting a winter scene on the wooden lid and all I have done right now is the base coating. Haven't even transfered my pattern yet. The basket is a natural color and I have painted the lid a midnight blue. Now it looks like the basket and handle needs to be stained. The contrast looks to harsh, (blue top and unfinished wood bottom and handle). Problem....I don't have any stain. I know it's possible to stain with acrylic paint, but how? Do I use an extender, blending gel? I would truly appreciate any help you can give. I've been reading the posts here for a while now, and I feel you guys can help. Hope this has made sense. Thanks in advance!!!

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kraftymom

Your basket sounds really nice. You can make a stain with your water based acrylics by just thinning them with water.

Bookmark   November 17, 2001 at 3:38AM
torosebud1_webtv_net

I have used alkyd paints as a stain. Alkyds are fast drying oils. You can get the color you want and just put a little out on a plate and add a little oderless oil base thinner to it. I put my thinner in a hair spray bottle and just spray my paint. Use a cotten rag and just rub it on. I find it user friendly. Good luck
Rose

Bookmark   November 22, 2001 at 1:16PM
marie_craftpals_com

Hi Kathy,
I make my own stain all the time. This is the method I use
squirt a large puddle of Jo Sonja's ® Clear Glazing Medium any glazing medium would work :) then squirt a smaller puddle of acrylic paint I like to use Spice Brown by Delta Ceramcoat® and mix together then stain piece. If it feels a little rough just sand with a piece of brown paper bag.This method is great because you can make any stain color you want :) Hope this helps you out!
Marie

Bookmark   November 25, 2001 at 6:37AM
kc2ckj_blazenet_net

Thank you all for your great ideas. I tried the water method, and I've used it for one of the baskets. Now I'm going to try the glazing medium. I know I have a bottle of that somewhere LOL. Thanks so much for helping me out. I truly do appreciate it. I have soooo much to learn. But that's the fun of it. Have a great day!!!
Kathy

Bookmark   November 25, 2001 at 7:48AM
marie_craftpals_com

You're very welcome Kathy. Always glad to help in any way :)
Have a great day!
Marie

Bookmark   November 26, 2001 at 6:03AM
More Discussions
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
Painting old aluminum cooking kettles
I found some old aluminum cooking kettles that I would...
PastorWife
Sharing a few Christmas items
Unfortunately no new Christmas painting this year,...
luvstocraft
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
anjabee
Sponsored Products
Calico Garnet 17-inch Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Raine Leather Chair - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Elegant Lighting Chandeliers 16 Light Chandelier Chrome Finish Clear Crystal
Home Depot
Veneto Luce Polished Chrome Six-Light Bath Bar
$760.00 | Bellacor
Blue Awning Stripe Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Brook 3 Drawer Media Chest - Warm Chestnut - BP450TVC
$498.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: