Just what is the difference

BlazeNovember 6, 2001

between tole and decorative painting? Or, is it all the same? The definition of tole in the dictionary is painting on tinware. Does this still hold true? Just a philosophical question - a break from painting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kraftymom

Tradional Tole WAS painted on tin but also wood. Some traditional Tole painters believe the term is not appropriate unless the designs are actually painted on tin. And traditional Tole was/is done with round brushes to create a variety of comma strokes to create your work. The comma stroke was/is the one and only brush stroke used in traditional tole with some variations of that same stroke.

Decorative painting falls more into the category of using a variety of different strokes made with a variety of different brushes - round, flat, angular, rake, fan, filbert, etc. to create your work.

Most people who have learned to do decorative painting these days don't know what traditional Tole is. It usually ends up under the category of decorative painting. I read once that there was so much controversey around the terms 'tole' and 'decorative' painting that they should just call it 'decorative tole painting'. Works for me!

Bookmark   November 7, 2001 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
Plastic shelves?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but: I...
lucille
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
anjabee
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
jeannette
New Free Pattern
Renee Mullins has a new free pattern to download at...
anjabee
Large old Mexican Flower Pot
This has been outside for years but needs to be repainted...
bluey48
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™