Love the skylight!

nwroseladySeptember 23, 2007

My small (approx. 1300 Sq ft) two-story house has three bedrooms and a very small bathroom on the second floor. The bathroom has no window, and I finally got tired of having to flip on a light every time I entered the bathroom. A couple of days ago I had a 10" Velux suntunnel installed in the bathroom. It is WONDERFUL! Now during the day the little room is so bright I automatically reach for the wall switch to turn off the light and then realize I don't have to.

I had a wonderful contractor who did the job, with a helper, for $178. As the sun tunnel cost $175 I got the whole job done for less than $400.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toomuchglass

Oh---------- that is great ! I was wondering how mauch that would cost !!! I think it's worth every penny !
Thanks for the info ! :)

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 10:09PM
piper1014

I'm planning to add 2 solartubes to our house at some point. It's not next on my list, but I did the research on it about a year ago. They're supposed to be easy to install for do-it-yourselfers, which we're not, so we'll be paying for installation too. They're not supposed to leak, like regular skylights can. I plan to get the dimmers in them, since the room we're planning to put them in has the tv. (They also come with electric lights for nighttime, but I don't think I want that.) I'm getting impatient just thinking about this! I hope you enjoy your wonderful sun tunnel!

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 1:17AM
postum

Congratulations! Sounds like a great deal to me!

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 6:14PM
jakabedy

Excellent! We just moved into a house with some original mid-century skylights. There is a frosted tunnel skylight that runs across the top of the bathrooms and laundry room. I LOVE the light it lets through. These rooms are right in the middle of the house, but are so bright because of the skylight.

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 4:45PM
nwroselady

Just some additional advice to those thinking of installing suntunnels. Do some comparison shopping, because there are several brands and the price differential is enormous. I compared two brands of 10" sun tunnels. One was over $100 more than the other, and the features were very similar.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
I've lost interest in this project
The decorating forum said I needed a colored carpet...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
knife sharpener help
I need a knife sharpener. I have 1 knife sharp enough...
desertsteph
ML - what's happening?
Is it done yet?
desertsteph
Tiny add on worth it?
My small home has two doors. The secondary door is...
agmss15
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™