exterior paint for furniture

betsyfNovember 16, 2001

I've just finished painting a bookcase using exterior black paint in a low luster finish. The problem is that the paint feels kind of waxy when I rub my hand across the dried piece. It's been dry for over a week but still has that waxy feel to it. I guess I'll have to varnish over it but was wondering why the exterior paint does not have that smooth feel to it like interior paint.

Also, I'm going to use gold Rub'n'Buff on the edges of the bookcase. Should I put the gold on before or after the varnish? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kraftymom

If the furniture piece will have 'hands' on or around it all of the time I think I would put the Rub 'n Buff on then varnish.
I'm curious to know what exterior paint you used? I've done furniture with exterior paint and have not experienced the problem you mentioned.

Bookmark   November 17, 2001 at 11:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
datadon_prairienet_com

The paint I used is: Benjamin Moore's exterior Moorgard Low Luster fortified acrylic house paint in black. All I can think of is that since it is exterior paint, it has to withstand extreme temperature changes and has to have lots of "give" to it to prevent cracking and peeling. Maybe it's that quality that makes it feel so waxy on furniture. I'm considering taking a chair into the paint store where I purchased the paint and asking for their opinion. It was a premixed color right off the shelf.

Bookmark   November 20, 2001 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
1970's-1980's decorative painting books?
Can someone help me please? I painted from some books...
springroz
Wooden "Jumping Jacks" in the Gallery
Finally got around to posting the wooden toys that...
colorcrazy
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
petuniaxyz
Where are all of the painting people?!
Helllloooooo....... I haven't been here in ages, and...
franksmom_2010
Spicy peppers
Before Thanksgiving, I pulled out some of the wooden...
luvstocraft
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™