Palette Paper Tip

pezabelleNovember 24, 2010

I am sure most of you know this, but I just stumbled on it. I use grey palette paper and you can remove dried paint from the waxed side and reuse it over and over. Really simple: Use a damp paper towel and gently nudge the dried paint, it will come loose and leave nothing behind. Large globs can be removed with a finger nail.

Sure saves on the cost of purchasing more palette paper and I just love saving money on things like this so I can buy more brushes and patterns and paints, etc., etc., etc.

Belle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marylee_2010

Belle,

I have just started painting classes and I use palette paper. I didn't even think of cleaning it and re-using it. Thank you so much for the tip.

Happy Holidays!

Marylee

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 6:33PM
luvstocraft

Belle, that is a great discovery you made. I no longer buy palette paper--just use a paper plate or recycle/reuse the trays meat comes on. Luvs

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 1:14AM
calirose

I have painted for several years and never noticed gray palette paper! I suppose using oil paint and a hard palette is part of it; like Luvs I have used other for acrylic, mainly those plastic lids that come on containers of cool whip, etc. The paint peels off of them also for a few uses.

Next time I get out of town I check out that palette!
cali

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 10:00AM
pezabelle

It is hard to find grey paper which is actually much better because it is a neutral color. You get a true look at the color you are using. Ex: putting a light color on white will lessen the value of the paint and putting a dark color on white will make it pop more. And I like it better than plates because I can blend better on it for shading. But I do use plates when doing base coating. And by cleaning it you virtually never have to replace it.

Belle

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 11:12AM
paintingfool

I often times use freezer paper - it is the same as the palettes we buy but cheaper. You do have to cut and sometimes tape to your table. I have used glass many times but since my ears are very sensitive to the sound the brush makes when brushed against the meat trays or styro plates, I don't generally use them.

When I want a wet palette because I don't want my paints to dry out I use a piece of deli paper (found at Sam's, Walmart, etc) over 2 wet thick paper towels. This will keep my acrylic paint wet as long as I keep the paper towels underneath wet. The deli paper is so cheap, you just throw away when you are finished. But I can use my acrylic paints for several days.

I rarely use grey paper - don't know why but I may have to try it. Good tip!

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 10:35PM
pezabelle

Bebe...thanks for the tip about the deli paper. I have a wet palette container but again the paper isn't cheap, although it too can be washed but not all of the color is removed. I do use butcher paper on my painting table, but I put the paper side up and the waxed down. About once a year I tape down 5 or 6 layers of paper and as they become dirty with paint I rip one off and have a clean area. I also write notes to myself on the paper...silly me!

Belle

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 2:10PM
tollpeggy

Hi all..a grey palette works especially well when using white or a real light color, you can actually see your values for floating or you can see how thin your paint is for linework. If you use freezer paper or a wax palette, you can slip a piece of black construction paper- or even paint a piece of cardboard black and place it under your first sheet, it greys down the color. The red/blue plastic plates work well too. if you have ever taken from Maureen McNaughton, she uses a good faux chamois under her wet palette & her paper isn't waxy. But, I think paint is pretty cheap and works best when fresh unless your mixing a particular color. I have had many students whose paint gets watered down from a wet palette, or use the paper side of a wax palette which dries out paint. We all have our own techniques, so if it works for you, keep painting no matter what!

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
1970's-1980's decorative painting books?
Can someone help me please? I painted from some books...
springroz
Hello!
Been a bit since I've posted. Just came over to put...
anjabee
Easter Bunny Yard Art
Another bunny jumping over an egg. This one is 33x47...
anjabee
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
petuniaxyz
Sponsored Products
Trans-Ocean Ravella RVL-197603 Area Rug - Aqua - RVL57197603
$297.50 | Hayneedle
Brown Jordan Cushions Northshore Denim Replacement Outdoor Chaise Cushion blue
Home Depot
Jupiter White and Orange Plastic Modern Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Cirque Collection Brown Suede 28 1/2" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus
White & Lavender Cotton I Print
$12.99 | zulily
Surya 18 in. Cube Wool Pouf - Ink Multicolor - POUF-81
$219.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Soho Dark Grey 2 ft. 6 in. x 6 ft. Runner
Home Depot
Hand-hooked Indoor/ Outdoor Coastal Pattern Blue Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™