Painting Outdoor Santa Lawn Ornament

tomato44November 4, 2001

I just received a wooden(made of plywood) Santa and his reindeer lawn ornament from a friend of mine. She believes they are about 10 years old. The paint is in good shape(not peeling or anything)but I would like to re-paint them to freshen them up and change some of the colours. Can anyone tell me what the best way to tackle this would be? Do I have to put a primer on them and start from scratch? What kind of paint should I use? Any input would be greatly apreciated...thank you in advance. Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kraftymom

You shouldn't need a primer. All I would do is give them a light sanding to roughen up the surface a bit so the new paint will adhere better. Then you can paint it with regular acyrlic paints, or another waterbased latex paint of your choice. Then seal with a few coats of waterbased acrylic outdoor sealer.

Bookmark   November 4, 2001 at 1:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marina43

I purchased some posters to mount on plywood for outdoors and their suggestion for sealing after painting was a slate and pebble sealer, apparently is is waterproof and doesnt yellow with age, I am in Australia so dont know what your equivalent would be.

Bookmark   November 4, 2001 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Large old Mexican Flower Pot
This has been outside for years but needs to be repainted...
bluey48
Plastic shelves?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but: I...
lucille
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
anjabee
New Free Pattern
Renee Mullins has a new free pattern to download at...
anjabee
Latest project
A new friend from church wanted to get back into painting...
luvstocraft
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™