Painting antique signs

BlazeNovember 20, 2001

.. or making them seem antique. Does anyone have instructions for painting these? I am looking to use a background that looks antique and painting words on the piece. What paint technique should I use? I have a wooden plank that will fit over my window. I have stained it but think I could paint over it with an antique white or similar color. Should I sand it down to expose some of the stain, or should I crackle it - keeping in mind I will want to paint letters over this. Anyone know of any good websites that demonstrate this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kelli

I made some antique signs by using a dark colour as the base coat, charcoal, and then the crackle medium and then antique white over that. I sanded the heck out of them and stencilled my words after that. I also use antiquing stuff by Plaid, you have to spray a sealer on your project first or else the antiquing stuff 'sticks' to the paint.

Bookmark   November 20, 2001 at 4:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LaceyBee

There are lots of antique looking crafts on Free Craftz Patternz. Each artist explains the technique they use for making it look "antique". You might get ideas there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Craftz Patternz

Bookmark   November 25, 2001 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
New projects in the Gallery!
If you haven't checked out the Gallery in a while,...
anjabee
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
jeannette
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
Painting patio cushions - what type of paint?
There are a number of places selling "special"...
karyn
Where are all of the painting people?!
Helllloooooo....... I haven't been here in ages, and...
franksmom_2010
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™