Antiquing process

quiltpartnerOctober 14, 2010

When you have a question or problem, I know to check the forum -- all you wise ones are here -- on all topics imaginable!

It's been a LONG time since I've done any tole painting & while I've had the itch to pick it up again, I'm a little timid w/this project. I'm doing a nativity (wood) for a friend & it is all painted, & I'm wanting to finish w/an antiquing. Here's where my memory needs jogged a little. Can I just use acrylic & brush on/wipe off? I don't remember always using oils for this, altho I know I have - a thinned burnt umber that I brushed on & wiped off. The oils give more working time, but I'd rather not re-invest in a lot of supplies I may not use (much of) again.

Can someone out there help me w/this question?? I'd be every so grateful! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvstocraft

Hi Quiltpartner, I don't do allot of antiquing but I think any of the metods you've discussed would work. I'd just advise you to spray a couple coats of sealer on before you do the antiquing so it won't penetrate the wood.

I used to even use that Old English furniture polish and wipe on/wipe off when I wanted to make a piece less bright. Have to be very careful not to get fingerprints on it until it dries though.

Hope someone with more experience hops in here with more information.

Luvs

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 12:39PM
kraftymom

I still use acrylic burnt umber to antique projects and the fool proof way to do it is what Luvs mentioned. After the painting is done, put a coat of sealer on first THEN do the antiquing. The sealer will give you more control in creating a more uniform stain.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 1:07PM
quiltpartner

Thank you luvs & kdraftymom! It's funny but I hated to go ahead w/this until I got a nod of approval:) Tomorrow I antique! Whoopee!!!

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Hello!
Been a bit since I've posted. Just came over to put...
anjabee
Spicy peppers
Before Thanksgiving, I pulled out some of the wooden...
luvstocraft
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
petuniaxyz
Crazy Turkey
I forgot to post this crazy turkey that I painted for...
anjabee
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
anjabee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™