Which should I use for antiquing painted furniture?

dawnbeeOctober 29, 2001

I plan to paint a wooden desk a sage green color and I want to antique it..should I drybrush with a brown wood stain or should I use brown paint/glaze combo over it?

If anyone has had any experience with what works best, please let me know.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ipainted a 70's dresser in a cinnamon color. I had never used glaze before, but bought a black glaze (it was on sale for $4!). I painted it on very lightly and then wiped lightly with a cloth. It turned out terrific and I have more comments on that piece than any other piece. I think that a brown would look pretty also. Good luck!

    Bookmark   November 1, 2001 at 1:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have been using a "damp" sponge with a HINT of black paint on it, then going over the piece until i like it! sometimes you will have to use a different piece of the sponge to smooth it out a bit - one tool, one smudge of paint = antiqued! sorry if this is confusing, hope you followed this. good luck!

    Bookmark   November 6, 2001 at 4:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have used furniture wax mixed with burnt umber oil paint. Spounged it on and wiped it off. I have also used antiquing stuff, Apple barrel brown, found out after that you have to spray the wood first with a matte varathene and then antique or else the antiquing stuff 'sticks' and you can't wipe it off. It looked awful. Have fun with what ever you do!

    Bookmark   November 12, 2001 at 12:16AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
Plastic shelves?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but: I...
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
Easter Bunny Yard Art
Another bunny jumping over an egg. This one is 33x47...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™