Style of front door?

bichonluver3July 27, 2014

The door that is on there now is plain, wood door with no trim at all. The house is in Enid OK. House belongs to our son and his new wife. I don't know how to post multiple pics so will do is multiple posts :( Also, what color would you paint the house and would you paint or stain door?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bichonluver3

another pic

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:00PM
bichonluver3

Front of house

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:06PM
tibbrix

I love black around windows and doors. It gives a house some sophistication, IMO It also makes landscaping look good, night lighting look good, etc.

I'd paint it either a soft white or a mocha/milk chocolate brown. contemporary, crisp, elegant.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:04AM
patricianat

I think I would use the brick as a cue. Pick the lightest color of the brick to do the main wood and the darkest color to do the trim.

I hate to be judgmental; but I think the shrubbery needs a shearing, making it difficult to think about paint.

If this were a different style home, it might not look so wooly but for this modernish/contemporary style, I think the need for a haircut is obvious. JMHO. Once the shrubbery has been trimmed, it will be easier to make a call about the paint.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 9:30

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:55AM
palimpsest

I agree about using the brick colors as the cues for the siding and trim.

The door arrangement they have is a sort of mid-century style that deemphasized the entrance door, and it had the effect of not indicating where people should go.

What is their intent with the front door? I think it may make sense to highlight the entire entry area by doing something with the lower windows on each side of the door as well.

Some of the local houses that have this sort of entry have combined a bright color for the front door with an interior shutter or decorative panel in mid century style over the side windows.

Or you could to a bright color on the front door and a potted topiary in front of each side window.

I would not veer from the style of the house though. It should still be a simple door. Some of the local houses have replaced their doors with something that is clearly "Victorian" or "Colonial" and it's not very successful.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:40AM
bichonluver3

Thanks, folks. Good ideas. Yes, current "landscaping" is all coming out and being replaced with new so that the house can actually be SEEN!!! :)

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 2:29PM
bichonluver3

I agree aboud the door. I got a "mid century modern feel from this house. Although an architect posted that it was a 70's tract house, I still get MCM vibes.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 2:31PM
bichonluver3

This is an idea of the landscaping to be done.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 2:35PM
palimpsest

Here's a quick and dirty rendition with darker trim, a bright door and panels for the windows.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:25PM
patricianat

I see the rendering has green as one of the "chosen" colors. I don't see this house in a darkish green trim. Maybe gray, darkish gray with a lighter gray everything else including roof.

You know if there is any chocolate in the brick.... well...it is a thought for trim and light, soft almost invisible taupe for the wood, greige roof.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:26PM
patricianat

Well, darn, while I was piddling, Pal was painting and I like it, the grey, the dark grey (or black), like Pal's door business. Now if we can get the landscaping under control, by golly, I think that is it.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:17PM
bichonluver3

Wow, what an impact with the red door!! What are panels on side windows I like them? If the door is solid wood, would the panels darken the hall or would upper windows be enough? Pay no attention to the colors in the photos or drawings. I am here on this forum for help with colors.:)

This post was edited by bichonlover3 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:24

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:17PM
bichonluver3

Landscaping is being nailed down on the landscaping forum thanks to some very helpful folks. You ladies are amazing! I like the look very much. Satisfies my MCM feeling! lol

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:27PM
kswl2

The door looks very much like a storm door, chosen for the width of the wood (or aluminum, looks like) around the glass. IMO, the door looks too much like the flanking windows, but I would not replace it with a solid door and lose the light. Instead I would replace the door with a regular single pane
French door with a different proportion of glazing to wood or metal than the windows and differentiate it that way. It will look more substantial as well.

Agree with the suggestions to pull colors from the brick for siding and trim, after pruning back landscaping to show the house itself. I would be inclined to use a darker tan from the brick for the siding and a lighter hue of the same color or a creamy white for the trim. The stark contrast of darker trim against lighter siding is jarring, especially with the wide color variation in the brick.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Argh! More curtain problems... Rings won't slide well on PB rod!
We have a sliding door (6' wide) in our bedroom. When...
collins design
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Photoshop Help with my exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. I...
fst96se
Office Desks - Coordinating Styles
Hello all, I'm working on my home office, and I'm excited...
jan_in_wisconsin
Do you like decor on the coffee table?
This relates back to our 'magazine house' discussion....
selcier
Sponsored Products
Creative Coir/Rubber Door Mats with Border (1'5" x 2'5") (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Lithonia TWS 19W LED Outdoor Wall Pack
LBC Lighting
Gray and Greenish-Yellow Damask 23-Inch Floor Pillow
$26.99 | Bellacor
Carlton Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Design Element Arlington 61" Double Sink Bathroom Vanity with Glass Top - Espres
Modern Bathroom
AICO Furniture - Villagio Entertainment Center in Hazelnut - 58097
Great Furniture Deal
Berry and Celosia Christmas Wreath - 22" dia. Christmas Decor
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Radiax 3000K 35-Degree 4-Watt LED White Flood Light
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™