Coloring Grout Question

Jayne77March 30, 2012

Hi,

I am new to mosaic work although I have experience with stained glass. I am working on an intricate and colorful stained glass mosaic right now and would like to have many different colors of grout. Should I premix many containers of grout and do each area a different color or should I paint the grout afterwords? I read somewhere on this board that painted grout looks tacky. Is that true? Please help!!

Thanks,

jaynelouise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Welcome: Personally I use black, charcoal or gray on everything I mosaic. Grout color is strictly a personal choice. Lots of artists use multi-colors in one piece very effectively. Don't believe I've seen the word tacky used on this forum re grout colors, but if so - who made that person grout police? It's the artist's choice, IMO.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 8:52AM
wackyweeder

It is as slow said personal. I am a fan of black charcoal or gray also-very rarely do I venture away from that.
Linda Smith (mosaicsmith) on her blog has a couple of good tutorials for multiple color grouts in a mosaic.
Painting grout-I have done it, you must use a wash, if you use straight undiluted paint it can look thick and unnatural, hence the tackiness you refer to. I would not recommend mixing up all the colors at once-it may set up before you get to use it! Heres some links. Linda, as an artist really has a fine instructional blog.
http://mosaicsmith.blogspot.com/2012/01/more-shading-grout-in-mosaic.html
http://mosaicsmith.blogspot.com/2010/04/thoughts-on-how-to-choose-grout-color.html
http://mosaicsmith.blogspot.com/2009/10/shading-grout.html

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 10:01AM
silvamae

I too have painted grout many times but if you paint it straight on the grout with a brush, it looks ''unnatural'' somehow. What I do is I lightly sponge on paint with a sea sponge and then wipe off the tesserae with a terry cloth rag. Sometimes I do multiple layers of paint. Sponging it give me the soft blendy look I want.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 2:45PM
Jayne77

Thank you for all of your help! I will post a picture of my mosaic when it is finished!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 3:50AM
More Discussions
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
Cutting Beach Pebbles
I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles...
african
Sponsored Products
Bramble - Genoa Open Bookcase - 25414
Great Furniture Deal
Design House 37W x 19D in. Cultured Marble Integral Sink Vanity Top - 551127
$264.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Berber Area Rug: United Weavers Rugs Opus 5 ft. 3 in. x 7
Home Depot
Le Corbusier LC2 Style Armchair-White - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Serena & Lily Playa Stripe Dhurrie
Serena & Lily