Using wax to help the wood look aged

pezabelleOctober 6, 2011

Over in the Gallery, Anj...told how she obtained such a great finish on her Halloween Sign.

She base painted the wood black, rubbed it with wax and then went over it all with grey/gray, then sanded. What a wonder look!

Curious: Anyone ever try this and what was the results? I am going to try it on some wood blocks I am making for the Halloween Bazaar, but I will need to seal my wood after the aging is done and before I add my vinyl words and boots, bats, etc.

Thanks Anj... for the great tip!!!!!!!

Belle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anjabee

Thank John Sliney! =D Those were his instructions in one of his books! He said just use a candle! I had some cheap white emergency candles laying around and they work great! You can get a whole box of em for $1 at the dollar store! Good luck Belle!! Hope it works for you. Of course you can use any colors over the black paint or vice versa....if you want to paint say red or orange on the bottom and then black on top it would look pretty cool I think!! ~Anj

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 8:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LyndaV50

Belle,
While the look you are ending up with using this technique gives you an aged look, it's called using a "resist" to either keep the paint from "sticking" to the surface or makes it easier to remove a single different colored layer of paint in selected areas.

I'd recommend you seal over the last layer after you've removed the selected areas of paint. Then decorate.

John Sliney designed some nice folk art designs. Using a resist is an old technique that can be used with several different mediums. Silk dyes, watercolors or acrylics. For instance. Have fun with it!

Lynda

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 3:52AM
More Discussions
Large old Mexican Flower Pot
This has been outside for years but needs to be repainted...
bluey48
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
petuniaxyz
Valentine painted items
Have a couple of items I've painted for Valentines...
luvstocraft
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™