serving tray question

yell_roseMarch 16, 2008

I'm going to do my first serving tray. And it will be a mix of china, glass and some beads. So, have any of you had a problem with the difference in thickness? It isn't great, this is thin china, but there is a difference. I'm considering using resin as grout and to cover all, so it would be even. Has anyone done that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J

Here is what someone just did...

Here is a link that might be useful: Becky's cross

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 1:51PM
texaswild

YELL: I never worry about trying to keep everything level. I think it adds so much more interest to a piece to HAVE irregular levels. On your tray, it depends on how you w/use it. If you use it to serve cheeses/cookies or whatever, then it doesn't have to be level. If you use it to serve drinks, it should be somewhat level. Some people use little pieces of craft sticks under a thin tile, and some use scrap glass under a piece to bring it up to level, and then there are those who just add an extra gob of GE II or mortar.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 4:58PM
yell_rose

Thanks Cal, that's exactly what I was looking for! I'm going to skip the grout so I can play with things to embed in resin. Slow, this is a large serving tray, carring wine glasses scare me the most!LOL

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:05PM
texaswild

You're right - w/that kind of service it needs to be level. HURRY w/WIP pictures.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™