problems/questions with color washing my grout

phish_gwMarch 15, 2010

Hi all. when I have grouted with a rich/dark grout, it somehow ends up getting into the nooks and crannies of my tesserai and making it look dirty. So I've tried colorwashing instead. From what I've read, that basically means painting my piece and then washing it off in hopes I can get the paint out of the tesserai but it will remain on the grout. But that hasn't worked well for me either.

I have tried various dark paints, enamel, acrylic. In my tests, I have used a smooth tesserai. The good news is that when washing off my piece, the dark paint has come out of my tesserai. The problem is it also comes out of my grout. When I wash it to clean off the tesserai, the grout color fades.

Is there a certain type of paint I should use? Is there a certain right amount of time that I should wait so that when I wash off my piece, I clean up the tesserai but not the grout? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

When I painted grout - gold metallic was the last time several yrs. ago b/f I started using only charcoal and black grout - I waited until the grout was dry, then painted, then waited overnight for the paint to dry, and then washed it off the glass tess. It was tough getting the gold metallic off the glass, but it finally worked. What colors grout are you using? I also have found that cement-based mortar/grouts are impervious to paint once it has dried.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 1:21PM
nicethyme

the term color washing kind of came about because you are looking to "dye" the grout with a watered down version of paint. it should be thin enough to soak into your grout just like a sealant will. I have used acrylics with great success and only have issues with it remaining as a surface treatment if I try to do it while the grout is still very wet.

There is now a move toward using india ink as a better effect at dyeing grout to a darker tone and I have been told that adding alcohol ink to sealant works well too. That last technique is supposed to be cool with TG because its thin enough to run seams where grout didn't fit in

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 2:00PM
nanatricia

Nicethyme I have not heard that !That is good to know .I have just been given some .I will have to try that .
Try useing vinager to clean with it helps a lot .

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
bees
did I share this here? Yggdrasil and the Divine Intoxicant...
nicethyme
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
Sponsored Products
Grape Harvest-Satin Silver White Shade Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Forum Espresso Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$369.60 | Bellacor
Set of 2 Emeco Style Plastic Designer Dining Red Navy Chair
eModern Decor
Component Playgrounds 6 Inch Steel Belted Strap Seat - STEEL STRAP SEAT-BL
$59.00 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Vanity w/ Drawer Unit and Mirror -...
Great Furniture Deal
Sahara Rod Pocket 120-inch Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™