Need advice, please

retiree43September 26, 2008

I have a conch shell I brought back from the beach many years ago. It has been adorning my porch ever since. The years have bleached most of the color from the shell. I want to do something to make it attractive once again. I was thinking along the lines of painting it with a very soft pale pink and then wiping it off, leaving the paint in the grooves only. Do you think this will work?? If it does work, what should I do to it after that?? I would like it to look as much like its old self as possible (more color at the top, fading to just a faint blush at the

bottom). Thanks in advance.

Clarice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvstocraft

Hi Retiree 43, Welcome to the painting forum. If your forum name means you got to retire at age 43, you are one lucky woman! ;o)

Your idea sounds fine to me. I'd think I would thin down the acrylic paint with a little water, brush it on then wipe off with a soft rag. You can add more coats if needed until you get just the shade you want. When finished, a good coat or two of spray sealer will protect it so you can enjoy it for many more years.

Luvs

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 12:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjm70142

Hi retiree, I am a painter to but this summer my GKs playing in my bird bath, put a shell not a conch but aboloine I think not sure but after leaving in the water till I discovered it it had turn a bright salmon pink, I guess from all the water it absorbed. So if you would like to try that first. I think that the paint should also be thinned, I think it will absorb it. Good Luck

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
Painting patio cushions - what type of paint?
There are a number of places selling "special"...
karyn
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
jeannette
Latest project
A new friend from church wanted to get back into painting...
luvstocraft
Wooden "Jumping Jacks" in the Gallery
Finally got around to posting the wooden toys that...
colorcrazy
New Free Pattern
Renee Mullins has a new free pattern to download at...
anjabee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™