Paint to use on glass/ceramics that will endure grouting

phish_gwMarch 21, 2014

nicethyme's recent pink vase problem reminded me I had the same problem once. I painted my own glass, glued it to my project, and then when I grouted it, the grout process rubbed off some of the glass paint. Then I painted the grout, and even more paint came off the glass. It seemed like such a great idea to paint the exact paint color I wanted onto the glass instead of shopping and trying to come close to what I wanted without success.

Is there any brand of paint that you can use to paint glass and it will withstand the abuse from grouting?

I've also thought about painting ceramic and have the same question about paint that will stay on ceramics and will survive the grouting process.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

I have used pebeo porcelaine which you bake in the oven. But I've only painted the center of a piece or 2 and protected with painters tape when I grout. Don't know if that is necessary, or if I was just being cautious.
Kathy

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 6:35PM
concretenprimroses

Also you can paint the bottom of clear glass (the side that you glue or thinset). Then the grout won't touch it. I also have decoupaged the bottom of clear glass. Of course decoupage won't hold up in color outdoors.
Kathy

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 6:38PM
silvamae

The Pebeo paint will hold up against sanded grout.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:13AM
Calamity_J

I have only done painting on the underside like Kathy mentioned...hey anybody remember when we all did the "our own version of the Van Gogh" glass!?

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™