seethrough grout

povertylodgeMarch 1, 2012

I completed a piece using tesserae of stained glass which looked beautiful and bright - until I grouted. Now it looks very dull. Does anyone know of something I can use in place of grout, which will allow light to penetrate the sides of the tesserae?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toomuchglass

Did you use white grout ? The color of grout seems to determine whether your piece turns out or not. Did you wipe off the final haze on the glass ? That can give it that dull look. I use tile sealer & that gives the grout a brighter , richer tone. The only clear thing I've seen is silicone and that would be impossible to grout with. I hope you get some more good suggestions !

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 1:00PM
povertylodge

Thanks, toomuchglass! I used black grout which was probably a mistake but the problem was the light coming through the sides of the glass pieces was extinguished and I think any colour grout would have done that. I did wipe off the final haze and I agree with you that silicone would be terribly difficult.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 9:13PM
nanatricia

Next time try using silver tape under your sg it helps brighten the glass.Hope you understand .

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 9:34PM
povertylodge

Yes,nanatricia, I have used britebak before but this was such a big piece and the tesserae were tiny so it would have been very tedious but thanks for the suggestion

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 7:18AM
wackyweeder

You can cover the piece with epoxy resin instead of grout, I personally dont like that look, but some do.
I have had glass do that and it is disappointing. what nana says is good. also, I simply prefer to work with small grout spaces, very small. and some ppl butt the pieces right up to each other and dont grout.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 6:36PM
povertylodge

I'm interested in the epoxy resin notion. Does anyone have advice on how to use it?

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™