Newbie needs help with countertop choice!

ArakashiMay 6, 2013

Hi,
I love this forum, and have only gotten this far in my kitchen reno because of all the great advice here, so first, a big THANKS!

I have narrowed my counter selection down to a dark gray and a medium gray color. I want it to be pretty consistent (eg no speckles), but would prefer granite (virginia jet mist polished maybe?) over quartz (msi Q Premium Natural Quartz shadow gray or Concerto, it's $50 sqft installed, unlike all of the major quartzs I've looked at which seem to be at least $80 sqft) because of the posts about quartz chipping.

However, I was looking for help with

a. which gray (if either) do you like? (small samples of the 2 msi dark and light grays are in picture; my cabs are a laminate, smooth finish but there is horizontal grain).

b. any other granite suggestions? (I love basalinta but its way out of my price range)

c. I know its a dead horse, but will quartz really chip?? (eg, would you do quartz or granite? I have 2 boys under 2, so dont plan to remodel this kitchen again, so need it to last! I love honed granite but am too scared of it...)

d. Ive found only a few threads on Q Premium Natural Quartz. has anyone used it recently?

Thank you so much for any advice on any of my questions!
Ara

This post was edited by Arakashi on Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:43

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
may_flowers

I wouldn't use it if you're afraid of chipping. It's Chinese quartz, and they just don't have the quality control of other, long-established quartz companies. Who knows what shortcuts they take. Remember the Chinese drywall fiasco from a few years ago? It's too big an investment to go with an off brand of quartz.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 3:25PM
buildinva

I would go with granite for sure, and with your cab colors, I prefer the darker color.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:08PM
Holly- Kay

My monitor is reading a strange undertone on the cabs, but my monitor is not all that great. What color overall are your cabinets? They look warm in tone. If they are I would rather go with a warm brown, like brown antique granite.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
What to put above kitchen window
I would like some help in finding a unique piece of...
zorroslw1
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
Shallow sinks?
I'm not sure if this is a thing, but I'm interested...
Lrw2a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™