Need A Name For This Craft!

calpatJuly 21, 2007

I've been cleaning out,seems like about 100 years of crapola and came across a card I had made many years ago. It's made with crayons...a wood burning tool was also used, crayons were melted to some degree on a hot plate. I can't remember how it was applied to the paper, but the one & only card I have left looks almost like a water color. I remember the lady who taught me said it was a really old craft and not many people today even know about it. I'm hoping one of you will remember/know about it.TIA Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvstocraft

You've got me stumped. Crayons and a wood burning tool--sounds interesting. Sorry I can't help. Luvs

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 12:35AM
anjabee

Hi~ I believe it may be Encaustic Painting? Try doing a search on it and see if that's what you are looking for. :) ~Anj

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 6:57PM
calpat

Thanks a lot Ang...I did a google and came up with all kinds of possibilities.

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 9:59PM
oddie

Sounds like a craft I would like to try, would you mind posting and share what info you have found, I did the search but dont understand, seen some cool photos thoe
Thanks Oddie

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 8:22AM
calpat

Oddie, I'm so sorry but I haven't a clue as to what to tell you. In reading about Encaustic painting, I found that it resembles a little bit of what I did, but what I did was not that sophisticated. The next time I go to Joanne's or Michaels, I'm going to see if any of their craft instructors know what I'm referring to. When you are out and tootling around your area, if you think of it, you might also ask. Good luck and happy crafting....Pat

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 3:24PM
oddie

calpat, was hopeing if you visted some of these sites it would maybe come back to you, on a video clip I saw where they used some kind of of a heat gun to move the wax around after applying and also a tool like a wood burner to draw with (I think) useing crayons was probley the cheap way of doing it, sounds like it could be fun, I will ask and see if I can get info, if you figure it out please post and let me know. I think it was on CD where they took crayons and rubed on a hot iron useing differnt colors at the same time then wiped it on paper for a desine. maybe thats how you start, oh I remenber they covered the iron with foil frist, so as not to ruin your good iron!
Oddie

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Snow man door hanger question
Crafts and Decorations forum is very slow, so I thought...
donnas_gw
Painting patio cushions - what type of paint?
There are a number of places selling "special"...
karyn
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
Where are all of the painting people?!
Helllloooooo....... I haven't been here in ages, and...
franksmom_2010
Crazy Turkey
I forgot to post this crazy turkey that I painted for...
anjabee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™