Can I mosaic a store bought patio stone?

charmoFebruary 14, 2009

Hi guys! Can we mosaic an already made store bought regular patio stone? If so I guess we use thinset mortar as the adhesive but would I have to first do anything like maybe sealing the patio stone before putting the thinset?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bearbubbacowboy

Charmo, Not real sure what U are talking about..show me a pic please????>>...sorry but I'm a real show me kinda girl. I need to see before my brain starts working. Is it resin?

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 10:59PM
Calamity_J

Heck ya! Go for it!! I have done a few...soooo instant!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 12:49AM
texaswild

I've also used the concrete steppers - w/no prep work except a good cleaning to get the concrete dust off. Have a ball - easy work, and yes - thinset mortar.

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 8:31AM
charmo

Thank you so much ladies. It's nice to know because I have a few of those behind my shed and was going to throw them out! Calamity, was that one you made? It's beautiful!
Cathy: What I meant was a cement sidewalk patio stone.
Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 8:50AM
squirrellycanadian

I have mosaiced quite a few....I used silicone glue. I have more in my album but I don't know how to post multiple pics. Click on the link to see more.
From Mosaics

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 12:33PM
charmo

Shirley, WOW! Thank you so much for sharing your link with me. You make beautiful things! I noticed that you are Canadian, anywhere near Kingston, ON? I only wish! If you don't mind I copied some of those pics because it will give me some ideas on what I can mosaic. One last question though, could you tell me what you used as a base for those big mushrooms, both the top and bottom. They are wonderful and I would love to try that when I'm off this summer.
Thanks!
Monyque

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 2:35PM
squirrellycanadian

Hi Monyque, I'm in B.C. but I grew up in Belleville. I still have family there. The mushrooms aren't really big, maybe they appear that way in the pic. The top is a glass bowl and the bottom is a bud vase, really easy and fun, in fact I should make some more!

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 3:05PM
Calamity_J

Oh Squirrelly!! You have a few in there I don't think I've seen before!!! LOVE the cat window!!! And the light globe, and the shrooms!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 6:55PM
texaswild

SQUIRRELLY: It's so nice to see you back again. I played your slide show. It's like going to a one-woman art show at a gallery. Your work is so beautifully worked - neat as can be. You're a persnickety mosaicist. Wish I could do that. Everything is just perfect.

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 7:49PM
squirrellycanadian

Thanks you guys! I loved that sign Jane....so very thoughtful. Nothing much is new in my album except the cat window, I'll post a better pic. I fell into a bit of a mosaic rut and haven't done much or posted in awhile. It's funny you should say what you did Slowmedown, I am tired of being a persnickety mosaicist, wish I could do YOUR style. Ah...isn't that the way! One of these days I'm just going to glue things down without thinking and just see what happens. I want to learn how to "paint outside the lines"!!

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Sponsored Products
Kettler Basic Plus Bench - 301211-0000
$369.00 | Hayneedle
Old Fashion Pot Outdoor Fountain with LED Light - FCL004
$137.00 | Hayneedle
Bali Sliding Panels: Manhattan Room Darkening
Blindsgalore
Softcross 2-Seater Eucalyptus Wood Outdoor Bench
Overstock.com
ComfortCare Large Dark Desert Bronze Cast Aluminum Patio Dining Set
Overstock.com