Cottage Neighborhood Trend

emagineerAugust 9, 2008

This info came up in a news article from Cottage Living. It is rampant with ads and definitely a real estate site, so bear with me. I'm not selling anything. There are interesting stories about cottage size homes and locations.

What was most interesting to me is the town in CO being built from cottage homes which are moved from larger towns. Reading further are stories about living in smaller homes.

I looked at some of the prices and surprised at how high they are. But as written above, this is a real estate site. Although, maybe we are in a better place than those with large homes and our smaller living is the trend of tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Neighborhood

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coffeehaus

This is a link to a recent article from Yahoo with the same theme. Yeah, the prices are outrageous!

Here is a link that might be useful: New trends toward cottage living

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 6:48PM
columbiasc

Have you ever looked at a photograph of a quaint little village in Tuscany or some other european locale where the homes are modest and everything you need is within walking distance? Granted, the parcels are small but they still have courtyard gardens, etc. Why can't we duplicate that approach here more often? When the developers try with their "Planned Communities", they seem to fall short or are extrememly expensive. There must be a secret formula waiting to be rediscovered.

~Scott~

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 10:29PM
crystal386

I don't think it's so much a secret formula as it is the fact that those homes in the quaint villages were built at a time when the medieval mindset led people to want to live very close to their neighbors and the cost of building a small home was well within reach for even a modestly successful merchant.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 9:39AM
evaperconti

And, people don't usually like to live "that close" to a business, because of the noise, trucks, crowds, etc. City living is definitely different than country/suburban living!

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 10:09AM
emagineer

I'm retired and know many in the same position I am who would love the possibility of living within an area like this. It becomes more difficult to manage traffic and get to areas for last minute items. Have never wanted to live in a retirement community. Mainly due to lack of "youth" around and prefer being part of a mixed group of people of all ages, activities. If there was a cottage neighborhood around, I would go for it. Only exception would be HOAs, which I abhor.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
ML - what's happening?
Is it done yet?
desertsteph
Getting older and keeping up
Just reading Stephs recent post about getting help...
kitykat
Artistry of home construction
When MamaGoose explained the concept of the Construction...
Moccasin
Let's have tea!!! :)
I do not know if there's a Conversations side or not....but...
lavender_lass
Tiny add on worth it?
My small home has two doors. The secondary door is...
agmss15
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™