Sharp edges on table top -Advice needed

ch_glassFebruary 1, 2010

I have a friend that just finished mosaicing a table top with broken porcelain tile. It will be used outside. He was not real careful in making sure the tile pieces were level, has some very wide grout lines, used unsanded grout, and wiped too much out of the grout lines. Now...he wants to know what to do about the sharp edges that are exposed - there are plenty.

I had the following ideas: Pour some of that epoxy resin over the top. Regrout over existing grout with thinset (hoping that the adhesive properties of the thinset would adhere to the grout). Cover the top with plexiglass or plastic sheeting. He thinks putting a thick coat of polyurathane would work -- I think it would chip right off.

Feedback, anybody?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrty411

Resin may be his best bet. He could try going over it with sanded grout

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 8:38PM
nicethyme

regrout

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 11:59PM
nicethyme

I don't think there are any resins rated for outdoors. He could go over all the offending ahards with a dremel and smooth them off a bit but I agree with Shrty, he should go over it with sanded grout

Bookmark   February 4, 2010 at 8:29PM
texaswild

In my beginning days mosaicing I used polyurethane, and it clouded. Don't recommend it, but NT is right, dremel or carborundum stone and/or re-grout.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™