Bedside lighting

widdringtoniaJuly 19, 2014

I like (love!) to read in bed. With that in mind, I found two swing arm wall lamps.

The catch is I don't know where to place them. I mean, other than "on either side of the bed". Our master bedroom is tiny. I can't centre the bed against the back wall because then the bed would be almost on top of the closet. If I have the bed set as it currently is, with more space on the closet side than the window side, will placing the lamps look very, very odd?

I could space the lamps evenly according to the wall, but then they would be different distances from the bed. Because they're wall lamps, I'm going to be making holes into the drywall and can't just casually change my mind sometime later. And I'm severely design challenged.

Any suggestions? I can take a photo tomorrow, although the room is in a state because it's serving as the hold-all for DS's things during his closet reconstruction.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

A photo would be helpful.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:35PM
justgotabme

I have swing arm lamps for our bedroom. I have yet to hang them, but when I do, they will be hung in a way so the shades will be, when folded, where shades of a table lamp would be. In other words, centered over the bedside tables.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 12:31AM
bbstx

I love the look and theory of bedside swing arm lamps. But the one time I used them, I was so disappointed. The light bulb shone directly into my eyes. Like, justgotabme, I placed them so that the shade was the same height as a regular bedside lamp shade would be. However, when I pulled them over to use for reading, I felt like I was being interrogated! I eventually moved from that house and gladly left the lamps behind.

I wonder if I should have mounted them lower? I wonder if there are swing arm lamps with a diffuser mechanism below the bulb?

Caveat: I do not actually sit upright in bed to read. Perhaps if I did, I would have had a different opinion of the lamps.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 9:55AM
justgotabme

bbstx, the fact you didn't set upright in bed while reading could be part of the problem, but also the type of bulb you use. Even with my bedside table lamps I use a 40W soft white. Too bright could also cause sleep problems, by keeping you awake longer.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
New Rocking Chair placement
I just bought this new Risom rocker as a floor sample....
rockybird
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™