Orange spots on Carrara Marble--Is this Normal?

mommytotyMay 11, 2014

We are in the final stages of building a home (we move in this Friday!) and although the "White Carrara Marble Extra" has been installed on my kitchen counters for a few weeks, they've been covered up with a brown paper the whole time for protection. They finally took the paper off and I am noticing tiny orange-rust colored spots in a couple areas (not everywhere uniformally). Are these spots normal to this type of marble or are these stains of some sort?? If these are stains, can they be removed?

Here is a close up picture:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

High iron content on the slab. It's rust. And it will continue to rust, especiallyif moistened.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:40PM
ak0402

Bill Vincent, our Kitchens Forum resident stone and tile expert (who hasn't been on in a while - we miss him), said in an old thread "cheap carrara is notorious for having iron deposits in it, and those iron deposits can and will begin to rust after a time, causing yellow or orange rust stains."

However, I do not know how you are supposed to know whether you have bought the cheap carrara or not. I know people have carrara marble in their kitchens for years, even decades, without rusting. Anyway, here is another thread where someone posted their solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Older Thread about Carrara Marble and Rust

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 3:08PM
Trebruchet

Drill 'em and fill 'em if they bother you that badly.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 3:16PM
More Discussions
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
WWYD with this area?
This area was designated as "dog cubbie"...
debrak_2008
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™