Can I seal this?

oldcraftyFebruary 4, 2013

I posted this in the garden junk forum asking for opinions about the color I painted the base. Both pieces I obtained while junking and they seemed to go together for a nice mushroom for my garden. Almost all responses came back that I should not place the stained glass part in the outdoors. It was formerly a hanging light fixture, that I removed all the light parts from.It is extremely pretty but I have no place for it in my house as it is 21 1/2 " across at bottom. Is there anything that I can seal it with to help protect it from the elements? I don't want to get rid of it as I love it but not sure I want it to ruin either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicethyme

what is supposed to happen to it if it were outside? it would oxidize on the metal but why can't it be outside otherwise?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 6:00PM
texaswild

Man, I love that lamp. I could find a wonderful place in my Bohemian-style house for it. Re the sealing, how about the resin that some artist use to seal their glass mosaics. Don't know how difficult it w/be for that shape, but that just comes to mind. LOVE that lamp. Waaaaah - wish you'd have offered it for sale.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 6:01PM
silvamae

I would do it. It'll be an interesting experiment. I don't see why you couldn't seal it, perhaps with a spray.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 6:04PM
wackyweeder

Oh my lord I love the colors. The only thing I can imagine it would hurt would be the leading, over time. I would see about sealing the leading with beeswax or something maybe. Its fabulous. Nail it down so someone doesnt steal it!

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:07PM
ohtobedone

If you seal it the moisture will seep unter the copper foil and the adhesive will let go of the glass sooner. This was made with the copper foil method or tiffany method. The heat from the sun will do the same thing after awhile. I've repaired alot of suncatchers that have come apart in time. Hope this helps. Sally

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 9:45AM
nicethyme

that explains it, thanks Ohtobedone

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:09PM
oldcrafty

Thanks Otobedone.... makes sense. Guess I will just have to try and make a covered area or just enjoy it for however long it lasts

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 2:15PM
texaswild

Or you could send it to me to put inside my crazy house. LOL.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:27AM
oldcrafty

Slow I know it would fit perfectly in your house! I am at this time having second thoughts on putting it outside. It would be a shame to have such a lovely piece fall apart after a short time of being "abused". The question... What should I do? keeps popping into my head!

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 12:38PM
texaswild

Put it back together as a lamp and set that beauty on a mosaiced pedestal all by itself. Betcha if you look around your house, you can find a little corner. I'm soooooo glad you're not putting it outside. It's a real beauty.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™