Where to buy scrap stained glass?

christi508February 16, 2010

I want to mosaic my bathroom counters...I think I want to use scrap stained glass as I don't really want a uniform tile look..where do you order online? I have used regular bathroom tiles and cut them with my nippers..would I be able to use them on stained glass or would I have to score it somehow? Thanks for always having the answers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

I usually buy it locally, at stained glass stores. There are three or four here in Austin. Just ask for the scrap. It is economical and perfect for mosaic. If your area doesn't have a stained glass shop, then I would buy on eBay; just type in 'stained glass scrap,' and you will have a great choice; unfortunately, the shipping adds so much to the cost. You can also try Craigs List; sometimes people sell it there. The best nippers for stained glass are wheeled nippers, brand name Lipponit, you can buy them locally also or on line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 5:23PM
nicethyme

alot of people have gotton a good deal on their local Craigs list

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 7:15PM
anneinva_2009

I bought buckets and buckets from a local guy here. His business is a stained glass window refurbisher. so he fixes church windows and makes new ones. maybe there is such a place where you live. i have enough for the rest of my life. he sold me some for 20 each and then ended up giving me some for free.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 2:14PM
soxxxx

christi
Where do you live?

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 11:10PM
anneinva_2009

i live in hampton roads VA

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 1:59PM
gardencrone

There are several places on line that you can buy small glass pieces (bigger than frit but smaller than scrap) which many concrete counter makers use to "fancy" up their counters. It is not sharp and you can buy it by the pound. I used to have the info on a couple I will look for the links if that is helpful.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 5:20PM
emtnest

Mosaics by Maria online sells offcuts and bits n pieces for a good price. If you purchase $75 or more shipping is free... believe me it's easy to get up to $75 in no time...

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™