Sears homes- for those interested- complete catalog/photos

angiepangieAugust 6, 2013

I recall someone asking if mine was a sears home.

Curious about it!

Some of you asked what they were.

Well here ya go!

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/bydate.htm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elraes Miller

Angie,
I was the one asking if you knew. There were also the Aladans too. Similar time period and building concepts. I have a photo of a Sears home we lived in when 2 yrs old, but no memory of the interior details. It looked a lot like yours, but many of my parents friends had the huge ones with brick and fancy details which still hang on in my memory.

What is fascinating (to me) is being able to order various options...an outhouse or plumbing, sizes of garages, etc. I have the book the photos of your link came from. And a 1919 yearly catalog which is almost 2" thick. We could fill the house with needed living items and furniture from it. Not as old as the catalog, but definitely remember the delight when one showed up. I do remember going to a counter in Sears and ordering things when my kids were quite young.

Here is your link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Archives

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 6:28AM
Elraes Miller

Darn, spelled Aladdin wrong. Here is another link with before and afters from Sears lovers. So many have been restored and cared for. I love the hardware shown and doors. Doors seem to have the same options as we do now.

A good look at before and afters. The original photos
show shutters on some of the windows. Totally wrong install as so many talk about here and on the decorator's forum. Just putting up a shutter must have been the thing back then too.

Here is a link that might be useful: More

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 7:04AM
marti8a

Here is a blog or website (couldn't tell at first glance) with pictures of Sears homes today.

Sears Modern Homes

I looked for any around me and didn't get a hit, but I wouldn't be surprised. That style house looks familiar.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 12:40PM
marti8a

Here is a blog or website (couldn't tell at first glance) with pictures of Sears homes today. There may be a popup. I got a popup message asking if I wanted to open a file and it wouldn't go away even I after clicked cancel. But then I get the same message on these forums, but I can click cancel for those.

Sears Modern Homes

I looked for any around me and didn't get a hit, but I wouldn't be surprised. That style house looks familiar.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Tiny add on worth it?
My small home has two doors. The secondary door is...
agmss15
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Mama Goose - a question?
Hi Mama, I saw in one of your posts that you have painted...
idie2live
xpost interior storm windows
I posted this on the windows forum but not getting...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
knife sharpener help
I need a knife sharpener. I have 1 knife sharp enough...
desertsteph
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™