Minimum depth for screened porch

ruthmiamibeachAugust 27, 2007

We are building a tiny 2-person cottage in the woods; living room will have a screened porch off the back. It will be 15' long and I am wondering how narrow is too narrow... am currently planning only a 6-foot depth. We will only have a couple of rocking chairs and bistro table w/chairs out there.

Anyone out there with a narrow screened porch who can tell me what feels Good versus what feels Cramped? Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patti43

For me 6' is too narrow. We had a 6' deck and added 8' more to it. The cost isn't that much more and you'll love your outdoor room. Trust me, I'm so glad we made it wider.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 9:40PM
Carol_Ann

6x15 will probably feel a bit like a coffin :) at least that's my feeling in long, narrow spaces. I'd go a bit wider if you can -- even 8' will feel better although I'd probably go 10'. It's cheaper and easier to do it now than later! Have fun building and enjoying your new place!

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 8:30AM
donnamp14

Our porch is 6 x 15, and it's not coffin-like at all! I might have liked another foot deeper, but it works for us. We have 2 chairs and a love seat, a coffee table and side table. Lots of houseplants summer on the porch. Great spot to watch the birds at the feeder. (If I could only figure out how to post a picture, I would!) Small house, couldn't acccommodate a larger porch, but we enjoy it. I love the fact that the mosquitos can't get me!

-Donna

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 12:34PM
flgargoyle

Our old house had a 4' deep porch, and we used to sit sideways. Personally, in parts of the country that have good 'porch weather', the bigger the better.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 4:42PM
teresa_nc7

I'd suggest you go deeper also - at least to 8 feet. With 15 feet in length, you will be able to have a sitting area and room for a small table and chairs for eating, laptop/desk work, hobby/crafts, etc. without feeling cramped.

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 11:57AM
lisa111

We have a screened in porch that is 10x10 and can fit 6 adults nicely...

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Space Style

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 9:58AM
brutuses

I'd recommend 8-10 feet to be comfortable.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 9:59AM
mnzinnia

On my big house I have a screen porch that is 7'wide by about 15'. For the 2 of us, or even with a 3d, it is fine. We have a small table against one long wall with 3 chairs, a double glider thing with end table between the seats (great for reading)at one end of the porch and I usually have a small 3drawer chest for garden stuff at the other end.

I think it depends on how you expect to use the space. If you plan to entertain groups of people frequently, you would want something bigger. If it's just 2-3 people relaxing or having breakfast-you should be ok with 8x15. I do think you'll like 8 ft better than 6.

A screen porch is one of the nicest "extras" you can add to a house ,imho. Lot's of pleasure for relatively few bucks.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 4:20PM
toomuchglass

I agree with everyone else ... I had a deck built on the back of my house ... I had the measurerments so small ( trying to be frugal ) My BIL looked at the plans and said -it looks good on paper - but when it's built - you'll be sorry you made it that small. He was right. He made it bigger & I'm happy he did . Things on paper sure look different in real life.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 8:24PM
ruthmiamibeach

Thanks everyone, your comments have been so helpful. We'll definitely go to 8 feet. It's truly a 2-person house with no entertaining, but we hope to have a lot of morning coffees and evening glasses of wine out there!

Ruth

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Please, please show me your tiny bathroom
I would really like to see anything in the 30 square...
movinginva
Who has blogs...can we see them?
I know there's some disappointment with the new format,...
lavender_lass
It's Thursday....right? Let's have tea :)
Another Thursday (had to check the calendar to make...
lavender_lass
Let's have tea!!! :)
I do not know if there's a Conversations side or not....but...
lavender_lass
Tiny add on worth it?
My small home has two doors. The secondary door is...
agmss15
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™