Ikea and Corian?

ericajayne3May 27, 2013

I am in the design phase of my new-build kitchen, and have been planning on using Ikea medium brown and off-white cabinets and honed Vermont Imperial Danby counters. Because of both cost and maintenance (I have two messy toddler boys) I am reconsidering the marble. I have explored so many alternatives, but can't find an alternative that appeals to me - aside from Glacier White Corian. However, I am so fearful that the Corian and Ikea cabinets will look cheap together (neither is a standout "star" that can elevate the other). I intend to use a calacatta tile backsplash, but am wondering from anyone that has either Corian or Ikea cabinets (or both together would be great!) what your thoughts are about how they read.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iowacommute

I just looked through Houzz and IKEA Fans and although I couldn't find your medium brown IKEA cabs with your particular Corian choice I did see kitchens that had IKEA and corian. They looked great!

I was thinking though it should also depend on what you want to stand out in your kitchen if anything. I think a kitchen should be a strictly utilitarian room so I don't want a stand out star, but I know many do. If you don't think either are particularly flashy maybe you can go with some fancier lighting to liven things up.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 10:33PM
amharris

I'm in the process of redoing a kitchen in a second home. We put in IKEA ADEL Beach cabinets and the counters are a Caesarstone (Dreamy Marfil), which is a creamy color with a little bit of veining (it reminds me of the limestone we have in our basement kitchen at home). I have all custom cabinets in our main house, and quite honestly, I think the IKEA cabs are great. I wanted a sleek look for this kitchen, so didn't want a busy granite. I also need counters that can take heat, so corian was not an option (the countertops in this kitchen were actually a white corian before we pulled them up, and they had a lot of marks from hot pans/plates).

Have you considered one of the silestone, caeserstone or other man-made products? I never liked the speckly ones, but I was surprised at the options now.

I also think the backsplash, lighting, flooring, paint color, etc all make a huge difference in the total effect of the space. It's like putting on a basic black dress. If I wear flip flops and no make up, it's not a very impressive look. :-) If I wear nice shoes, make-up, and jewelry my 17-year-old might be seen with me.

It's so easy to get caught up in "high-end" everything, and then question whether your kitchen will look bad by comparison!

I know there are Corian fans on GW, so hopefully some will weigh in. For me it works just fine in a bathroom (except where aforementioned teenager left her flat iron on and left a slight burn mark--which someday I will buff out), but I'd be worried about the abuse it would take in my kitchen!

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 9:59AM
nosoccermom

At least my IKEA here has very good prices on Silestone or Caesarstone, uusally a special for around 60.00/sqft. Last time, it included a fairly solid white and a solid cream like limestone.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 11:52AM
PRO
modern life interiors

bump

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
Removing a load-bearing wall... $10,000!
Omigod. We just got a quote for removing the load-bearing...
ideagirl2
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™