Varnish over acrylic paint

sowngrowApril 17, 2011

I am painting leather with acrylic paints and the Americana Duraclear gloss varnish has yellowed over the paint. The container says it's non-yellowing. This hasn't happened before when I've used it over acrylic paint on leather. Any recommendations for a good varnish for this type of thing? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kraftymom

My first question would be how old is the varnish? My 2nd would be what color was the leather you put it on? It may have absorbed some color from that.

Before good fabric paints came along I would mix my multi-purpose varnish into my paint to eliminate the need to varnish afterwards. Multi-Purpose Sealers are adhesive and durable and they seal most hard craft surfaces for indoor or outdoor use. They can even be mixed with paints to eliminate the need to varnish outdoor surfaces.

I have used Flecto Varathane Diamond Satin finish for many years with great success (now owned and sold by Rustoleum).

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=70

More info.....

http://www.polyclay.com/varathane.htm

These days I prefer to use a paint that's made for the surface so I don't have to deal with a finish. I absolutely love Tulip's So-Soft Fabric paint. It air cures and you don't need to seal or heat set it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 1:19PM
sowngrow

Thank you for your insight. The varnish is new. I got to thinking and I think my brush may have gotten mixed up with one I had used with paint. That would explain why this hasn't occured before. I think I will try mixing the varnish with the paint like you mentioned. Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 6:42PM
kraftymom

I am curious to know what you are painting. :-)

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Where are all of the painting people?!
Helllloooooo....... I haven't been here in ages, and...
franksmom_2010
Plastic shelves?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but: I...
lucille
Chocolate Bunny Yard Art
Chocolate Easter bunny jumping over an egg. This is...
anjabee
Large old Mexican Flower Pot
This has been outside for years but needs to be repainted...
bluey48
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
petuniaxyz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™