Movin' On Up

patti43July 26, 2007

DH and I retired to our 940 sqft. cabin 14 years ago. Last year we sold it and moved into a 1104 sqft. apartment. Now, we just bought a 1252 sqft. villa with another 800 sqft. in a covered front porch, covered small patio for grilling, a good-sized screened porch and a 1.5 car garage. While that sure isn't huge, it's bigger than we're used to.

We're tryng to find our "balance" I guess. This had better be it though, because I'm tired of packing moving boxes. Anything bigger would be a McMansion to us.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

When I read the subject of your post, I thought you were "movin' on up" to a McMansion of 3000 sq. ft. or so! From 940 sqft. to 1252+ sqft. is "movin' up" in size! I'd give up square footage if I could have a screened porch and a usable garage.

Congratulations!

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 11:49AM
patti43

Thanks teresa. It's still not too much to clean, but will give each of us some space of our own. I love a screened porch, too.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 11:37PM
cynandjon

Most people are down sizing when they retire. THe house hubby and I are building is just a little bigger then we have now, about 400sq ft. I totally understand your thinking. LOL
We just want a little breathing room.
btw a screened in porch sounds like heaven.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 7:24PM
brutuses

You are going to love your porch, I know!! Congratulations.

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 4:31PM
patti43

Thank you all for your comments. We've been busy with packing and all the stuff you have to do when you move--turn on/turn off, change of address, insurance. That part's over now, so now it's on to cleaning out and packing. Not a lot since our moving company doesn't require you to take everything out of dressers. Whew!

I think everyone needs a screened porch. The one we built on to our 940 sq.ft. house was 14x24. It really became another room for us. +

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
This "makeover" is too bad to continue with. Too bad.....
" I agree with Paul8511 "going elsewhere...
pyreneesparent
Goodbye.....
After being "here" for a many years, since...
pyreneesparent
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
Need help with porch roof color
Hello, I don't know if I'm posting in the right forum,...
jennieroad
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 6b
Sponsored Products
Bayshore Medium Bubble Wall Aquarium - BW8BSLVR
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Learning Resources Gears! Gears! Gears! Movin Monkeys - LER9119
$42.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™