Should we move a wall to make 2 small rooms?
I was wondering if you may give us your opinion on doing work in the house. We have an old victorian that has a small office (6.5'x5' - 32.5sq.ft.) in the front. The bedroom right next to it is roughly 10.75'x14.3' (148 sq. ft.).
We are having a baby in January and to make more space, we are considering moving the wall of the office and are wondering how this may value the home.
We have a few options.
1) Moving the wall 3 ft. Changes the square footage to 116 for the big room and 52 for the small room.
2) Moving the wall 6.25 ft. Changes the square footage to 81 for the big room and 73 for the small room.
3) Moving the wall 7.5 ft. Changes the square footage to 66 for the big room and 81 for the small room.
We would also need to add a closet to the small room (which I figure would be 6 square feet).
1) I read somewhere that the IBC code said a bedroom has to be 70 square feet... do you know if this is true?
2) How would 4 bedrooms, even with 2 of them being small, affect resale (perception/value/etc)?
3) Is there anything else that you can think of that we should consider?
The cost for this will be at most $2000 (according to the contractor).
We are looking at best options and want to make sure we don't do something that will come back and kick us later.