Preserving Old Tole

bhk12March 18, 2008

I have a large tole tray painted by my Mother in 1962. It is gorgeous, however the shiny finish is beginning to crackle.

The painting is still excellent, just the crackling

I do not wax or clean it other than dusting.

I believe the materials used in the 60's may be different than todays.....though not sure as I am not a painter.

Would appreciate input on the proper way to care for and preserve this tray from further deterioration.

I vaguely remember she said use PLedge to protect it....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvstocraft

Would love to see a pic of your's Mom's painted tray. I have no idea what to use on it other than a spray on sealer. I'm hoping that Painting Fool will see your post and have some suggestions for you. Luvs

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 12:03AM
anjabee

Sorry I don't have any good advice either. I wonder if a local art studio would be able to restore it for you and give you some tips on how to preserve it. I'd like to see a photo of it as well. Good luck. ~Anj

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 10:30AM
paintingfool

bhk, if she painted it in the 60's, it is probably oil with a varnish overlay. I suspect it is the varnish starting to craze so I would not try to remove the varnish or varnish over it, I would take it to a art restorer to have it cleaned and possibly re-varnish. Since your Mom painted it, it would be worth the time and effort. Hope this helps.
B

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
New projects in the Gallery!
If you haven't checked out the Gallery in a while,...
anjabee
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
anjabee
Plastic shelves?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but: I...
lucille
Hello!
Been a bit since I've posted. Just came over to put...
anjabee
Easter Basket Yard Art
Here is one of the yard art projects I've been working...
anjabee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™