dearth of small homes

mmegaeraJuly 7, 2006

I envy you all your small houses. I finally wound up with a condo because around here, it's the land value that drives up the price of the house, not the house itself, so it's much more profitable for developers to build big houses on tiny lots, rather than the other way around.

What do people do when they'd rather have new construction (not build it yourself -- the point of new construction is to not have to deal with the difficulties of building and/or remodeling [g]) and a small house in areas where land is so expensive?

(as in, lots are as small as .10 acre, and going for $75,000 or more...)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angelcub

mmegaera, building a custom home doesn't have to be fraught with difficulties. We have done it 3 times - twice for ourselves and once overseeing MIL's. The main thing is to do your homework, as in get plenty of references and see the GC's work before hand. And be willing to be the squeaky wheel when needed. GCs can get busy with other jobs so you sometimes have to pick up the phone and make a little noise. ; )

We would build again in a heart beat. It's a wonderfully satisfying feeling to know your home is unique to you (I designed ours). And if you can do some of the work you can save some money, too.

Diana

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Getting older and keeping up
Just reading Stephs recent post about getting help...
kitykat
It's Thursday....right? Let's have tea :)
Another Thursday (had to check the calendar to make...
lavender_lass
window in shower
We moved into our small ranch home (1000 sqft) about...
schnauzerluvr
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
Mise en place
I give you a link to an NPR article about the above...
Moccasin
Sponsored Products
Moller Stool 80A
Design Within Reach
New Veg Dyed 4'x6' Turkish Oushak Hand Knotted Light Green Floral Wool Rug H3588
BH Sun Inc
Gigi Trails Rug 6' x 9'
$1,975.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Hand-hooked Miff Ivory/ Blue Wool Runner (2'6 x 10')
Overstock.com
Fire Magic 43820-TSL Single Access Door with Tank Tray - 20 x 14 - Left Hinge Mu
$341.70 | Hayneedle
Screen Gems New York Skyline Screen
Beyond Stores
Christmas Tree Rug
Overstock.com
Paula Deen Home 4 Drawer Door Chest - Tobacco - 932175
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™