high price of framing art

terracottaFebruary 15, 2002

I just finished my first canvas acrylic painting and am entering it in an art show so went to have it professionally framed and am astounded at the prices!! I even used the 50% off coupon at Michaels. No wonder one must price art work so high. I'm not able to make the frames myself-any suggestions...alternatives to save $ ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindag

Try some of the used furniture/junk type stores,flea markets,garage sales, Salvation Army. Repaint restore the frames.
Lindag

Bookmark   February 26, 2002 at 2:03PM
Mima_L

I needed a long narrow frame for a project. Found one on clearance with a print in it for $8. Took the frame apart, painted it a color to match my painting, had the correct size mat cut for $9. Put it all back together and ta da! a perfect frame job for $17. I know this doesn't happen all the time when we need to frame a work but when it does it sure is fun.

Have you tried using sectional frames. They come in wood and in metal. You can get the size you need cut to order if they don't already have the size you need. I have used the company below and find that they are very reasonable.
Mima

Here is a link that might be useful: Frame site

Bookmark   March 7, 2002 at 10:00AM
lulie___wayne

I know what you mean about the price of framing. As was mentioned before, sometimes you can find beautiful, used frames and refinish them yourself. I have had some luck with this. Also, you could give the buyer the option of buying the art without the frame. Sometimes people prefer to choose their own frames, anyway.
A lot of people don't realize the the time and costs involved when selling art.

Bookmark   June 4, 2002 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
petuniaxyz
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
Latest project
A new friend from church wanted to get back into painting...
luvstocraft
Chocolate Bunny Yard Art
Chocolate Easter bunny jumping over an egg. This is...
anjabee
Painting old aluminum cooking kettles
I found some old aluminum cooking kettles that I would...
PastorWife
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™