Why can't I get the paint to crackle?

nadastimerFebruary 28, 2002

I've tried the technique of using glue to crackle many projects and each time just turn out more frustrated! I've tried several kinds of glue, I've added a little water, didn't add any, waited for the glue to almost dry, only waited a little bit and aplied the top layer~nothing works! The other night I was taking this old drawer apart to make a caddy to hang my phone in and the one side got kind of loose. So I added some wood glue in the crack to streghten it. I was so tired by that time that I didn't think and turned the drawer right side up and the wood glue dripped all over. So the next morning when I went to add another layer of paint~I got a crackle look in just those couple of spots. So it seems I can only do it when I'm not trying to! LOL I also ended up with some crackled stuff once I sprayed sealer on the project~again I didn't plan to. What am I doing wrong? Any hints or tips?

~Leslie~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Deb_from_Pa

I use regular white glue all of the time, never have a problem. I usually paint on the base coat, let dry completely, paint on a coat of glue, let dry completely, paint the top coat, and it always crackles no matter what surface I have done it on, and I have even done it on paper bags. You have to let the glue dry completley. It doesn't matter how thick. The width of the cracks are determined by how thick the top part is, and you can't go back and forth with top coat. just put one brush stroke on and let it do its' thing! LOL! Good luck. Maybe you are fussing too much. Let the glue and paint do it for you!

Bookmark   March 9, 2002 at 7:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RitaMS

Leslie, hide glue will work every time for you.
Rita

Bookmark   March 13, 2002 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Valentine painted items
Have a couple of items I've painted for Valentines...
luvstocraft
Hello!
Been a bit since I've posted. Just came over to put...
anjabee
Merry Christmas 2014
Hope you all have a very wonderful holiday with your...
anjabee
New projects in the Gallery!
If you haven't checked out the Gallery in a while,...
anjabee
1970's-1980's decorative painting books?
Can someone help me please? I painted from some books...
springroz
Sponsored Products
Aero One Light Oval Bath Bar
Lightology
Hampton Bay Patio Furniture, Carosuel String Lanterns HB1005B
$24.99 | Home Depot
Curl Bronze One-Light Pendant with Raspberry Crystal Glass
$203.00 | Bellacor
Varaluz | Fascination 1 Light Mini Pendant
$269.00 | YLighting
Eurofase Altima 7 1/4" Wide Smoked Glass Pendant
Euro Style Lighting